Can I use engine cleaner, oil treatment, Injector Cleaner? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can I use engine cleaner, oil treatment, Injector Cleaner?

Reaction score
I am new driver. This is old 1998 years car. So, I want to add some clean and protection fluid.

Before oil change, I can add engine cleaner.
After empty the old oil, I can add oil treatment and new oil.
Before adding gas, I can add injector cleaner.

I heard they are very good. After adding them, noise is reduced much.
I am wondering if I can do that, because owner's guide say:

"Do not use supplemental engine oil additives, oil treatments or engine
treatments. They are unnecessary and could, under certain condition, lead
to engine damage"

This sentence really scares me. So, is there anybody adding those things
before? I am appreciated if anybody can give me some suggestion.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I use engine restore lubricant at every change---I've used it in a few vehicles with 110-180k and all of them had noticeable power increases on the first use (unless I'm just imagining it!). Because of the positive outcome, I continue to use it. I've driven many thousands of miles using it without any problems. Not so sure about engine oil cleaner---never used any (though theres an old can of "Gunk Out" in the shed). Many new oils have "detergent" properties and will help keep your engine clean anyways. I add fuel injector cleaner to my fuel at least every 3000 miles. Engine Restore is the only oil additive I've ever used, so it's the only one I can give my opinion on--and IMO it's good stuff.

dont put anything in your oil... just dont.

I guess, engine cleaners have different names. They are used only before empty the old oil during oil changing. I say a name called engine flush, or something.
Am I right?

Use seafoam and call it good. Check the link in my signature for a how to.

I see all feedback from all engine treatment products are positive. Never see negative feedback.

Is there anybody getting into trouble after the treatment?

go gangbusters with some oil additives, just be prepared for a motor rebuild. all it will take is one piece of sludge **** to come loose and clog an oil gallery. loud lifter anyone?

i guess if you've always used it, then it would be good. my mounty has 162k. i wouldn't think of using all that stuff now just because of what patrick112390 just said.

Seafoam, works as a Motor Flush and Fuel Inj. Cleaner.

Won't harm Engine if left with the Oil for longer periods (from the Owner of SeaFoams Mouth).

I use it twice a year and I have 310,000+ km on my 2000 Explorer 4.0 SOHC.

i seen oil treatments cause engine knocks, where they broke down the oil and it didnt lubricate engine parts.

you dont need "engine cleaners" or "additives" proper maintenance is key.

Yea but you can never know how proper the maintenance was before you or the previous owner. My explorer is at 196k and I'm the third owner. First owner was meticulous but the second owner I don't think ever touched anything. I wish engine flushes and all these things worked for this reason.

Back