Do I have to change the oil filter when I change engine oil? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do I have to change the oil filter when I change engine oil?

Reaction score
I am a new driver. I check my owner's guide. It doesn't say anything about oil filter when changing engine oil. So, I am wondering, do I have to crawl under the car to change the filter? If I do not have to, or change the filter for every 5 years, it is much easier. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Best rule of thumb is change the filter every time you change the oil (figure the filter is going to be holding a quart of dirty oil)

You have to crawl under to remove the drain plug anyway so you might as well replace the filter too. And unless you rarely drive the vehicle, 5 yrs is far far too long for a filter change, thats pretty much asking for a very expensive engine disaster.

Plan your oil changes when its warmer so you're not laying on the ground while its freezing - that should make it less painful.

Oil & Filter go together.

you don't have to change the filter every time, but its a good idea since you are already under there draining the oil. I wouldn't recommend going more than 2-3 oil changes without putting a new filter on.

Always change the oil filter with the oil. And use a high quality oil filter - wix, M1, Motorcraft etc.

If any thing I would change my filter more often than changing the oil,
IF and only IF your using Synthetic Oil.

If your using Dino-oil Always change your Filter with the Oil.
Cheap Protection

Your oil and filter have mileage limits. If they're both 3000 miles like with conventional oil and basic filters, change em together. If your oil is 15,000 mile oil and your filter is a 10,000 mile filter, you'll hafta change the filter before the oil will need changed. I would change everything roughly annually even if you haven't reached the mileage limits. Oil changing is cheap--engines aren't.

Back