Can some one tell me how to replace old drive belt (98 XLT 4.0 SOHC) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can some one tell me how to replace old drive belt (98 XLT 4.0 SOHC)

zbrocket

Reaction score
City, State
Appleton,Wi
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
Hi every explorere lovers!!
I just bought ford explore 98 model.. and the drive belt seems have lots of tiny cracks like -------I-----I--I I<-crack..
so I attemped to replace this today, but I had no clue how to do it.
I tried to put 3/8" bar to 1/2 inch square hall.. but due to the air path of the engine, there is not enough space to pivot my bar to couter-clock direction.

Should I remove the engine's air path in order to replace my drive belt?
Should I push my bar to the car side and then pivot the bar?

I just don't know what to do. :( I read other people's comment, and this job suppoeses to be easy.
Could some body can explain step by step? with pictures will be helpful
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well this is what I did. I grabbed a six pack of beer. Drank one beer then put in the socket wrench and rotated the tensioner as far as I could then I put down the beer and grabbed the tensioner with my other hand and rotated the ratchet back and then rotated the ratchet twords the passenger side of the car yet again. This took enough tension off the belt to get it off the pully. I then drank 4 more beers. Put the new belt on and loosened the tensioner in the same fashion as stated above to get the bewlt the rest of the way on. Drank the last beer. Then drove the X with the new belt to the packy cause I was now out of beer. Good Luck

what a socket size do i need?

can anyone tell me what socket size i need to pivot the tensioner?
the instruction on the hood panel indicats that I don't really need any socket wrench..
that part was confusiong..!!1

I believe it is a 3/8 square hole. Mine is a OHV but it should be the same.

3/8 inch is little bit small

I waisted 3 bucks for that..
it is smaller than 15mm
but large than 3/8"

Um..
Does anybody own 4.0 sohc

zbrocket said:
I waisted 3 bucks for that..
it is smaller than 15mm
but large than 3/8"

Um..
Does anybody own 4.0 sohc
The 4.0 OHV and the SOHC are the same in this respect. Look for a square hole in the tensioner arm. NOT the pivot bolt! Insert the 3/8 drive breaker bar in the square hole and use that to move the tensioner.

Yah know they make a tool for that :). You can rent it at Autozone or you can just buy one. That is what I did, and it makes the job a snap.

Yep, you took the words right out of my keyboard RickOTR.

Back