Can someone help me identify this part? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can someone help me identify this part?

bilzy7

Reaction score
City, State
MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer XLT
This is on the rear drivers side, you can see drivers side shock close to it. The mount is rusted almost completely off and im trying to identify what it is so i can get a new mount for it.
7bbe4599.jpg

Thank you for any help. I cant find out what this is anywhere.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Carbon canister (Automotive Vapor Canister Filter).

Wow can def tell where you live , You only need the carbon canister if you have emission testing on a regular basis

Lol ya MA. Thank you, ill do a search for mounts for it.

Ok so info for any who search in the future, your best bet is to fab a bracket, or pay $142.00-$200.00 for the bracket.

Im just gonna try and zip tie the hell out of it to the frame or something. I cant believe the price of that part...

Im just gonna try and zip tie the hell out of it to the frame or something. I cant believe the price of that part...

Agree, long zip ties are all you need to secure a light ABS canister.
Make sure the hoses are connected properly, otherwise you'll get a CEL.

And once again - I am glad I no longer live in the North!!

here is how I modified my bracket
DSCN2572.jpg

DSCN2573.jpg

DSCN2574.jpg

Thanks for the pics. Id like to modify it in a way so it wont be in the way of future shock replacements. I had a top bolt seized, so i left it in hoping itd snap and within 3 days it snapped an i now have 2 new rear shocks lol. The previous owner never replaced the shocks and i assume never did any fluid replacements.
What else is new.

Jeez, on the 98 ? These chemicals they use on the roads now-em-days are an auto manufacturer's best friend. So sick of rust and and how it destroys our cars.

I did it for another reason. I slid it over more, cut the tire carrier out and added this,

DSCN2594.jpg

DSCN2597.jpg

my on board air tank.

I thought is called nitro... :)

no,

just on board air, I still need a compressor to finish it. but I don't have the money right now.

why an on board air tank?

That's a pretty sick place for an OBA tank...

well
I want on board air to run my air horns, have access for tire inflation on the trails and I have air shocks in the rear of my truck, but I would like to put air suspension in when I do my spring over axle and my solid front axle conversion

well
I want on board air to run my air horns, have access for tire inflation on the trails and I have air shocks in the rear of my truck, but I would like to put air suspension in when I do my spring over axle and my solid front axle conversion

ahh gotcha. im not into off roading, was just curious

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow i wish there was that much of my bracket left. Mine is just teetering there. Completely unsecured. Oneday ill pick it out of a mudhole and ziptie it back up

Back