• Register Today It's free!

Please help me identify this plug

Klaus Cook

Reaction score
City, State
Houston
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Mercury Mountaineer
Ran into a puzzle while swapping out the instrument cluster on my '99 Mountaineer. I followed the instructions from this thread:

HOW TO: 2001 Sport Cluster Swap for 1998 Explorer

When removing the instrument cluster bezel it instructs to remove two plugs from the left side of the bezel (light switch and dimmer). I discovered there was also a third plug that was plugged into a recess on the right side of the bezel. It was not connected to anything, just stuck into a dummy receptacle on the rear of the bezel. Does anyone know what these wires are for?

Thank You,
Klaus Cook

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I recall there being 3 plugs, but didn't pay much attention to them. I would assume the 3rd empty receptacle might be for 4x4 indicator lights maybe, or some other option you don't have.

Ran into a puzzle while swapping out the instrument cluster on my '99 Mountaineer. I followed the instructions from this thread:

HOW TO: 2001 Sport Cluster Swap for 1998 Explorer

When removing the instrument cluster bezel it instructs to remove two plugs from the left side of the bezel (light switch and dimmer). I discovered there was also a third plug that was plugged into a recess on the right side of the bezel. It was not connected to anything, just stuck into a dummy receptacle on the rear of the bezel. Does anyone know what these wires are for?

Thank You,
Klaus Cook

I just found two pics on-line that show the location of the plug.
dash4.JPG
dash3.JPG

Oh that connector. I thought you meant of the back of the cluster itself. Yes, that would be for the selectable 4WD switch, which the AWD doesn't have. Apparently, Ford used the same wiring harness and the plug is just a left over. It's stuck to the back side of the cluster trim to stop it from rattling.

Back