• Register Today It's free!

Can these mods be done?

Nuksky

Reaction score
City, State
Washington dc
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT
Good morning everyone, I haven't been on in a while and stopped working on my truck because i went broke being over zealous and spending too much money on things before seeing if they would fit or work..I was new..I know now lol..but I have gotten back into it and the junkyards around my area have been replenished..I see lots of explorers 3rd and 4th gen , and three aviators so I have been trying to plan some things but wanted to know would they possibly work and if so could you link me to a write up or instructions ..alot of it is going to be wiring which I haven't dealt with really. I have searched but have not really found instructions, All help is appreciated and I want opinions.

1. Will 4th gen seats, second and third especially, fit into a 3rd gen? I like how the second row reclines a little and the third row in general

2. I still have aviator mirrors but cannot find Instructions on how to wire them. I do not currently have heated mirrors but my harness looks the same as the harness I pulled from a 3rd gen with heated mirrors, so I was thinking I would have to use that harness versus my existing one..but they both use like 6 wires and the aviators have like 12 so I have no idea what to do so they have been sitting since last yr lol

3. Aviator seat wiring..I have access to two white leather aviator seats, well a whole set and was wondering if anyone knew how I could wire them up. Currently I have mountaineer seats but have not wired them either because I do not know how and I dont really like them anymore but if there is a write up on that I would try to just keep these...I just wanted the heated functions but I see aviators are heat and a/c.

4. Aviators and even windstars have an accessory power port in the trunk area which I find useful when vaccuming out my moms van as I do not have to plug it in up front when im trying to vacium the rear..while at the yard yesterday I tried to see what type of connectors were involved and tried to fillow the wire to find its origin to see where it plugs in at hoping I could possibly do a plug and play , but the origin ended up being in that big group of cords that runs from the trunk, on the sides of the doors to the center console area, but the actual port is just like the ones up front..has anyone wanted to or did this install before? I know ford has unused connectors, not sure what they are for but I have found them all over when ripping my truck apart.

5. I think aviators are sexy lol so I was going to replace my exterior trim panels with panels from an aviator..I can get all of the panels..and I know it involves drilling holes so im down for it , but I noticed the panel on the fenders are not panels at all but the fenders are molded so I would have to swap mine which will lead to changing lighting probably..I already have the rear bumper but I wont be able to get the front bumper as the ones on the junkyard have front end damage and/or no bumper so I may just have to keep my bumper until I find another aviator..which is rare..i know navigator s are wider so I cant get a front bumper fron them I dont assume..what do you guys think..any suggestions or should I scrap it

6. Oem dvd entertainment system..I see alot of them in the junkyard and was thinking of getting one..I know I would have to probably keep my original head unit right? I wanted navigation ..as close to oem as possible..do you guys like having the dvd or it is something you wouldn't miss..I do like to travel and have younger siblings.

as far as seating for the second row, in general are there any advantages to having captain chairs and a console,or the three bucket seats are more preferred..I am looking at a set of second row seats from an aviator or an explorer in which the two outer ones recline ..i wish I would of known that before ..i bought a few sets of seats, and the second rows dont recline and I havent been able to get rid of them still yet..I have a set of mountaineers, my original set with no third row and second row bench, and a set if three second row seats from an explorer..this has to be my final set..i just want them to function as I want..front heated and possibly a/c if it can be done..second row reclining ..third row..nothing can be done with that so im good I just want everything to match lol..i plan on using leatherique in the end if I have to

Thanks in advance..I know its a lot but I know you guys are a wealth of knowledge n didnt want to leave anything out

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have a lot of idea floating around. Most of which I would love to do also. My advise for answering questions that people might not know the answer to is to try. Don't go and buy the stuff just because, instead take a part you want off of a car then take it to a 3rd gen in the junkyard and see if the bolts line up, or if the connectors fit together. I today just bought pioneer speakers out of an 150 but I checked if they would fit in my doors before buying them.

...instead take a part you want off of a car then take it to a 3rd gen in the junkyard and see if the bolts line up, or if the connectors fit together. I today just bought pioneer speakers out of an 150 but I checked if they would fit in my doors before buying them.

Wow you took the whole door to the junkyard with you? ;)

AH HAHAHAAA!!! That's one of the best laughs I've had all week Dubya!
On the more serious tone, College_student has a great point, match it up with another in the junk yard. I too would love to find a set of reclining second row seats, now that I know of them lol. What are they like? Just two captains seats with a center console? Currently I have the third row seats, and then three "separate" seats in the second row...

I was going to remove my center seat then, I relized the seat belts all hook into that middle seat cause its bolted down. I never thought of other options like the whole second row replacement.

I have a quick question i am a new member and was wondering i have a 2003 sporttrac 4.0 its sluggish in power on take off i,ve been looking for a gear set to help with this but either ways have any of you guys had any experiance with the resistor chip on ebay sounds like a too good to be true situation but just curious either ways any input would be appreciated thanks!!!

I have a quick question i am a new member and was wondering i have a 2003 sporttrac 4.0 its sluggish in power on take off i,ve been looking for a gear set to help with this but either ways have any of you guys had any experiance with the resistor chip on ebay sounds like a too good to be true situation but just curious either ways any input would be appreciated thanks!!!

Please start a new thread and myself and others would be more than happy to help point you in the right direction;) Welcome to EF!

OP - No help from me:(

Back