• Register Today It's free!

can u lower a 4x4?

93xplorer007

Reaction score
City, State
southern Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 sport
can u lower a 4x4? i wanna kno cause i dont like the high CG and body roll of my 93 sport x but dont wanna lose my 4x4 for the ice here in the iowa winters

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well it depends on how much you want to lower it I guess. Lowering it too far could possibly damage the CV axles given enough time.

that year doesnt have cv axle's, it has the ttb dana 35. lowering it might cause issues with the steering linkage, possibly alignment problems, and maybe clearance issues.

possible ways to lower rear-lowering shackles, shackle flip, spring under isn't an option as explorers are already spring under. those are for the rear.

possible ways to lower front(that i know)- pivot point on the axle beam might lower it some, shorter springs and shocks.

i dont know how well all this will work, just throwing ideas out there

Your options are kind of limited for lowering a 1st gen Explorer, easily/cheaply, while still maintaining decent driveability. The suspension design on these; especially the front, just isn't very accommodating to lowering.

If you really want a lowered 4x4 SUV, then I would consider selling your '93, and buying a 2nd gen Explorer/Mountaineer ('95-'01) (the easiest/cheapest to safely and effectively lower-within reason), or even a 3rd gen (although lowering them starts to get back into the more difficult/expensive side of things, but handling can be greatly improved-due to the more sophisticated suspension design.)

ok well thats alrite thanks for the info im gonna lift it then it was a choice of the two cause it doesnt look rite stock i fall both ways lowering or lifting ;)

Your options are kind of limited for lowering a 1st gen Explorer, easily/cheaply, while still maintaining decent driveability. The suspension design on these; especially the front, just isn't very accommodating to lowering.

If you really want a lowered 4x4 SUV, then I would consider selling your '93, and buying a 2nd gen Explorer/Mountaineer ('95-'01) (the easiest/cheapest to safely and effectively lower-within reason), or even a 3rd gen (although lowering them starts to get back into the more difficult/expensive side of things, but handling can be greatly improved-due to the more sophisticated suspension design.)

hey thats nice ..i am glad you posted useful info for people like me.. i will follow it :)

Back