Can worn timing parts create a timing/misfire issue?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can worn timing parts create a timing/misfire issue??

crew-it

Reaction score
City, State
Reno NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLT
Was told by a mechanic yesterday that the misfire in our 2000 Explorer with the 4.0 SOHC is being caused by worn timing parts that are allowing the engine timing to be thrown off. Can only hear a little timing chain noise at start up on cold mornings. Anyone hear of the engine timing being affected from worn parts? Thanks in advance.

The PCM has an adaptive learning strategy that
adjusts for wear in the engine parts, and keeps
the engine running as close to factory-fresh as
possible. This includes the timing.

However, if something is broken or wear has
gotton out of range in a part(s), then the engine
will indeed run badly.

As for the misfire, I'd look at the usual stuff first; plugs
and wires. They're cheap enough to replace, and
the Explorer probably needs them anyway.

Thanks. Nothing's broken (engine still runs so that's an assumption), just the normal noises at start up that I've read is very common. I've replaced plugs, plug wires, coil and now the mass airflow sensor. Ran fine for about ten miles then started getting that sputter back like a cylinder isn't firing right. Check engine light was on, took it to auto parts store and the code reader said misfire in #1 cyl. Would an old injector cause this? Like I said, new plugs, wires and coil so not sure what else there is besides injector.

compression test

Wear of the left camshaft timing chain components would affect all in that bank. Wear of the right camshaft timing chain components would affect all cylinders in the right bank. Wear of the primary (crankshaft to jackshaft) timing chain components would affect both banks. I suggest that you add fuel injector cleaner (I only use Techron) to your fuel tank and perform a compression check.

Back