Can you fix deteriorating window trim? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can you fix deteriorating window trim?

The window trim around my cargo side windows looks like this

20140612_175109.jpg

Is this fixable, or will it just need to be replaced? If so does anyone know where you can order it? I've never seen it online anywhere, maybe just have to pull it from a junkyard?

Thanks

The brightness of the photo makes it hard to tell what the damage is, but if it's just the rubber trim getting rough, sometimes it's just breaking down from UV rays and weather, and nothing can stop it.

If it's just the surface getting flaky and chunking, you might try some high grit sandpaper (use some regular paper or thin cardboard and tape on the window/paint to keep it from getting scratched) to remove the stuff on the surface, then polish it smooth with even higher grit sandpaper and/or some rubbing compound.

Liquid or gel products that claim to treat and protect rubber actually seem to have the opposite effect - Armor All and the like eventually cracks and rots rubber, vinyl, and plastic, so I'd advise against those.

If the trim is so bad you want to replace it, you'd probably have to do so by getting an entire window, since the studs are part of the window and the trim. It may be possible to seperate them, but it might break the window.

If you do replace the window, you'll need to be careful pressing it out since it's sealed and held in with adhesive in addition to the studs. You'll of course need new adhesive to stick another window back on.

It sounds like the trim breaking down from UV. Thats too bad it's attached to the window.. don't want to replace the whole thing. Maybe I'll try spraying on some plasti dip to act as a protective barrier. The sandpaper idea is also good, I'll have to go back and see if its too far gone for that though. Thanks for the idea!

Try the junk yards first, a better used window is the easiest fix right now. New they are $500 or so each, so do work on it soon. Those are on my list too, my 98 parts are just barely turning at the top back edge.

Back