Can't decide on the 3.0 or 4.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can't decide on the 3.0 or 4.0

cali98

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ranger XLT
Hi Guys, I have a 1998 Ranger XLT Super cab that I bought in 2001. It is the 4 cyl. with a 5 speed. Although it has been a great little truck my problem has always been it's power especially going up hill with the Air on in the summer. Time to up grade. I intend to buy a newer model Ranger with either a 3.0 or 4.0 w/automatic. I also intend on pulling a small 6' enclosed trailer with my 700 pound Harley in it. Is the 3.0 enough? I have heard some not so good things about the 4.0 and don't want to have problems. My friend pulls his 18' boat and trailer with his 3.0 Ranger and it seems to work for him. Thanks for your time and help. :usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4.0 is the no-brainer choice. I don't know what you've heard bad about them, but search the threads here about the 3.0, every one is complaining about the dogginess of them.

I have had a 86 Ranger with the 2.3 5 speed. Actually did very well for a 4cyl. I also has a 94 with the 3.0 auto. What a dog would barely get out of its own way. I also have had 3 explorers with the 4.0. 95,96 and 02. all 10x the 3.0
As Bill said, a no brainer.
Tim

Only problematic 4.0s are the pre 2001 SOHCs. 3.0 is a good engine but it needs to rev to build power. I'd say go 4.0 but I wouldn't turn down a 3.0 if it's a good deal.

Regarding the 4.0L. Search OHV vs. SOHC, ten pages of discussion. GL

3.0 is a good engine...has the camshaft synchronizer issue...easy $95 fix...way easier and cheaper than the timing chain issues on those certain 4.0s.
Get the right 4.0....but dont pass up a great deal on a 3.0..
And if either one of them fails..u can still drop in a 5.0.

Back