Cant disconnect fuel lines from tank | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cant disconnect fuel lines from tank

socialDK

Reaction score
City, State
san jose,ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 xl
So I dropped my tank but cant disconnect the fuel line. The fuel lines are connected to the tank by 2 separate pipes at 45 degree angle that are very close to each other so I cant get the quick disconnect tool on. Am I missing something? I dont want to cut the line because I think that will be more problems.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What tools are you trying to use?

I have had issues using the cheap multicolored plastic tools from the Parts Store.

I have had mixed results with the Metal scissor tools.

But I have had 100% success with the white Nylon fuel line removal tool from Lisle.

Here is a link to the ones I use all the time:
http://www.lislecorp.com/tool_detail.cfm?detail=604

I bought mine from Sears.

Ryan

What tools are you trying to use?

I have had issues using the cheap multicolored plastic tools from the Parts Store.

I have had mixed results with the Metal scissor tools.

But I have had 100% success with the white Nylon fuel line removal tool from Lisle.

Here is a link to the ones I use all the time:
http://www.lislecorp.com/tool_detail.cfm?detail=604

I bought mine from Sears.

Ryan

Im using the scissor type. I can get one in but not both to cup the pipe and slid into the quick disconnect. Those white nylon type look like they would be to big to fit properly and have the same problem, you have had success with those type on the fuel tank?

I use a type like that and we got them off. Its a pain in your rear but it will come off.

Has anyone found a way to make the disconnect process easier, i.e do away with those 45 degree angles or an actual easy disconnect? If there was more length of the tubes there would be room to easily get the tools in. I also plan to do the easy access door in the tips and DIY section.

try useing carb spray or wd-40 ( carb spray better) but get something like these items ( high pressure ) and clean out the area that the catch clips onto and holds the fuel line .see dirt and other crap will fill in the little gap where the catch does it's thing ...so once the dirt is removed then the tool can work alot easier .

the line tools i used were the red and gold aluminum type .

DSCN1095.jpg

Back