can't get codes, just a girl HELP please! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

can't get codes, just a girl HELP please!

jennyb1075

Reaction score
City, State
morgan city, louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer sport
I have a 2000 explorer sport 4X4, 6cyl 4.0 SOHC. For the past week my CEL has been on. It's running like it did when I needed my spark plugs changed about 3 months ago. I'm having no problems starting, no problems when running in park. When it is in any gear, it putts (what's the technical term for putting?) really bad, especially when I accelerate at any speed even when at a stop sign. Also, sometimes smells like somethings burning (like matches or paper?), not strong though.

When I had my plugs and wires changed the CEL was on and they were able run diagnostics said code read misfire on plug 3. I've learned how to change my own plugs & wires was gonna do it myself but mechanic said that it was really hard to get to on Explorers and it was gonna be hard for him to do, so needless to say I didn't attempt it myself (hit me up for almost $200 bucks and parts were only $50). Well this time he said that the plug for the code reader isn't working and he can't get any codes, but he can try to narrow it down by replacing the easiest and cheapest parts first.

My problem is that I've been ripped off by mechanics far to often cause "I'm just a girl" and I would like to know if any of you guys can help narrow down the problem of things that I can try myself? PLEASE!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can get the codes read at an Auto Zone.

I wouldn't go back to that mechanic either. He sounds like a waste of time. You could always check out the plug and wire on #3 (which is the one in the back on the passenger side) and make sure they're making good connections. If they are, chances are it's the coil pack. Which is a $50 part and a few minute job.

I stopped by Auto Zone to try to get it done for free before I went to mechanic they couldn't get any either. I will check the plug and wire though, Thanks! If it's not, do ya think I could probably try to change the coil pack myself? I know the basics of mechanics and follow directions really well and love the satisfaction of fixing stuff on my own! What would be causing the burning smell?

if they were not able to read the code for your CEL at that autozone go to another one and try again, if the CEL is on there is got to be a code. if the car its running bad then u might have a faulty sparkplug or cable, im sure there is plenty of posts explaining how to change this with pics and everything.

Thanks for the advice guys! I will try it in the morning.

Couldn't get any codes cause the plug had no power. I'm gonna change the fuse in the morning cause cig lighters not working either so the fuse has got to be the problem w/that. I'll try to get the codes read at auto zone in the morning after I change the fuse THANKS!

Just to let you fellas know this site has been my new found hobby for the past few days. I've fixed alot of little querks on my Explorer w/ the help of you guys, such as ABS light on, air bag light on, driver side door not unlocking, ect.. ect.. Love it! Love it!

I would love to see more girls on the site...

:D You go girl. Some of the best mechanics I know are women. I think they try harder to show us guys up! Welcome to the site! :D

Hi Jenny, and welcome to the site

Back