Cant get the fuel filter off!! Help!? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cant get the fuel filter off!! Help!?

wisneski7

Reaction score
City, State
Green Bay, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport
Im using this tool: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H6P070...e=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B000H6P070

and attempting to change my fuel filter. I popped the filter out of the bracket, disconnected the little clips that are on the front and rear. Using the tool I couldn't get it to budge. After about 5 minutes the front line released. I've been wrestling with the rear line for abour a half hour now with no luck. I've even used a pliers between the filter itself and the plastic tool, then used leverage from under neath to squeeze the tool into the line as far as possible. Doing this with pulling/twisting on the filter about as hard as I can still didn't do it. So...now what?

Aaron

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They can be difficult. Some say the metal "tool" works better. I find it is more a matter of experience using the tool. Try to push it in straight and all the way in. Once properly pushed in it will release easily. Many people say they find rust on the fuel line to fuel filter. Will the filter spin on the fuel line? When it finally comes off be prepared for gas to go everywhere until pressure is released.

There doesn't appear to be any rust. I can spin the filter very easily, just can get it to release. I could see where the metal tool may work better as the plastic one tends to warp/bend when you push on the flanges. I'll see what I can do to make sure the entire tool is pushed completely in.

Aaron

Sometimes pushing the line towards the filter helps, as does some pb blaster or wd40 . Good luck with it and do watch for spraying fuel!

Guess I'll try some PB blaster. I've tried pushing the line toward the filter. I've used a pliers to lay flat against the tool, applying even pressure against the flanges of the tool. With the leverage of the pliers and a flat head screwdriver to help push/pry, I can assure the tool is all the way in. Whats wierd is I can feel the resistance when the tool hits the springs/clip, and then with the filter pushed towards the line, I can then push the tool in slightly farther. It simply won't release the filter though. Im gonna soak it with pb blaster and go from there I guess.

Aaron

Im gonna let it sit for a little while and try again. If not then Im just gonna plug the other fuel line back on the old filter and say screw it. Im about ready to push it out of the garage and use a torch to help! :frustrate

The pb blaster seemed to free things up a little as I could slide the tool all the way in a little easier than before. I can feel where the tool hits the spring and stops. Then if I push the filter towards the line, I can push the tool in a bit farther, and you can feel/hear the spring against the tool. It simply wont let go of the filter though.

Aaron

dust and dirt get in where the fingers are and prevent the fingers from spread. Soaking along with blasts of air might help.

Well I quit for now. I soaked it several times... I even wrapped some foil between the shaft on the filter and the removal tool, forcing the tool to fit tight against the 3 little springs/prongs. It feels like Im moving them as I can hear a clicking noise and feel it when I move the tool back far enough. Just doesn't let go of the filter. Im going to see if I can use a better quality tool from a mechanic friend and give it another shot maybe tomorrow.

Thanks for the help all.

Aaron

push line in toward filter and hold in while pushing tool should come out, I had to play with mine for 15 minutes. I bought the kit from autozone for 25 bucks and used the red tool.

I bought the plastic "set" and used the grey one with great results...the first time. Second time, not so good. After quite a frustrating time and a bit of cussing, I went and bought the metal unit. Worked great!

took me about 2 hrs to get my filter off. first i used the metal, and it wouldn't budge, so i went and got the plastic set, still nothing. so i soaked both ends in Kroil for awhile, and tried again. i had to twist and pull for about 10 minutes to break it free. i'm guessing a bunch of rust was in there. (with 155k on the vehicle, i'm sure it was a factory filter) new one snapped back in. when i checked how dirty the old one was, a really thin 'mud' came out of the fuel tank side :D i just love fords' 'quick' disconnects...

I'm in the same battle with my filter. I've on two separate occasions have attempted replacing my filter with no success. I have no problems popping the front end of the line off but I cannot for the life of me remove the tank side connector. I have sprayed it well with PB blaster. I think my flaw is removing the forward line first. My next attempt will be starting with the rear end first. For being a pretty good wrench this simple job has got me stumped.

Remove the inline fuel filter.

I went thru this a few months ago when I changed out my fuel filter. Saw this thread, grabbed the tool box and a camera. BTW, the stuff that poured out of the filter looked like the bottom of a pot of coffee. I'm including pictures of everything, for people who haven't tackled this job yet.

Full-size pictures are here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/112818...orerFuelFilter?authkey=Gv1sRgCLGmwLCgn-uN-wE#

First, look under the dash, passenger side footwell, where the carpet meets the side panel. The small black box with the red button on top and the gray connector on the bottom is the fuel pump cut-off switch. Disconnect the gray connector and crank the engine a few times to relieve pressure in the fuel lines. Be sure to reconnect the gray plug before attempting to start the car when you're finished. Turn the key to the "On" position, waiting a few seconds and then turn it off again - this cycles the fuel pump and helps repressurize the line. Do this a few times before you actually try to crank it.

IMG_0624.jpg

Here's the metal tool I bought. Has 2 different sizes, I used the larger size. Basically, it fits over the filter input and output shafts, slides into the coupler at the end of the hose and disengages the internal barbs that hold the hose on the filter.

IMG_0625.jpg

Here's a picture of my fuel filter, fuel lines and retaining clips, taken after I'd replaced the filter. Most likely, your filter will be tarnished, possibly pitted and rusty. It is attached to the inside (center of the vehicle) of the driver's side frame rail, pretty much straight down from the steering column.

IMG_0626.jpg

Notice the black, squared-off U-shaped clips holding the lines to the filter.

IMG_0627.jpg

Insert a large flat-blade screwdriver in the gap, rotate the screwdriver so the hose-end of the clip moves towards the filter. For the tank side, rotate clockwise; for the engine side, rotate counter clockwise. After the one side of the clip is disengaged, using the screwdriver, push the clip towards the center of filter and pop it off the filter tube. To replace, simply push the filter side back down onto the tube, slide it away from the center of the filter til it sets in the end of the fuel line coupler and engage the other side.

IMG_0628.jpg

Here's the filter with the tank-side retaining clip removed. Note that the clip is attached to the fuel line by a plastic "string." I can only imagine how far they would fly without one.

IMG_0629.jpg

In the next 2 pictures, I've fitted the large end of the tool around the filter shaft. I've then closed the tool and slid it back so it fits into the coupler at the end of the fuel line.

IMG_0631.jpg

IMG_0632.jpg

Next, I've taken an open end wrench (a 1/2 inch worked here) and slide it over the other end of the flared coupler.

IMG_0634.jpg

Finally, while holding the wrench and the tool with one hand, I've managed to grasp both with the jaws of a vice-grip pliers. I started with the pliers adjusted so they just close with light-to-moderate pressure, forcing the tool and the wrench together. I then release the vice-grips, turn the adjuster knob to tighten and repeat til the tool moves far enough into the coupler to detach the line from the filter. At this point, any residual fuel in the filter and lines will come spraying out, be sure to wear eye protection and keep your mouth closed.

IMG_0637.jpg

You may or may not have enough free play in the fuel lines to allow the lines to flex and fully pull off the end of the filter. I realized this and shoved that same flat-blade screwdriver under the clip holding the filter to the frame, pryed the filter out of the clip and the line came off cleanly.

Repeat the process on the other end of the filter.

To install the new filter, I attached the engine-side fuel line to the correct side of the filter - the end with the flange points towards the engine, there should also be a directional arrow indicating fuel flow. I then pushed the tank side fuel line onto the other end but didn't fully engage the barbs. I pushed the filter back into its retaining clip and then pushed the fuel line onto the inlet tube.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice. I'm most likely not getting the tool in far enough so I will give your tip a try...

There's actually a flange on each end of the filter, which is what the barbs inside the hose coupler is grabbing. You gotta get the tool completely inside the coupling so its touching the flange. Here's a pic from another thread showing the end of the filter and a plastic tool.

fuelfilter3.jpg

Post #15 on this thread, also has picture of the inside of the hose coupler:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=911024&postcount=15

Im just gonna plug the other fuel line back on the old filter and say screw it. Im about ready to push it out of the garage and use a torch to help! :frustrate
Aaron

Have an ambulance and a fire engine standing by, and take lots of pics! :D

Seriously though, those things can be a real PITA, a lot of AC lines use the same kind of connectors and I have often wanted to find the engineer who designed them, drag him into the street, and beat him senseless.

Great idea with the vise-grips!!! Thanks for the idea and the pics.

To start with de pressure the fuel line via schrader valve under the hood.
The first time I also had a lot of trouble using the cheap metal tool. The tool ends that butt up against the line flange weren't square. I squared it off with a file and then, was able to get it to release.

Goggles for sure but a face shield is even better.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had an epic battle with mine as well, and turned out the clip was rusted to the filter. And I soaked the area repeatedly with penetrating oil, many times, over and over, weeks in advance. It was not coming off, so I had no choice but to force it out with the clip still on the filter. Replacement clips are available at the parts house.

Back