• Register Today It's free!

can't remove front driveshaft

hatched91

Reaction score
City, State
godfrey, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 sport ohv 5spd
hey everyone. i am trying to get the front driveshaft off of my 97 4wd sport. I took the 8(?) bolts out from the transfer case and detached it from the front pumpkin. My Haynes manual doesn't say much about the 2nd gens. Are these stubborned or is there something else that i need to remove to take it off?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After the 6 (or 8 or whatever) bolts are out from the transfer case flange, it should just pop out. Yours may be rusted in or whatever so some force is probably required :D

There should be 6 bolts. After that it should pop right out. Maybe tap on the side with a hammer.

Mine took a good amount of working to get out. Assuming you have the same style as I do.

I had to take a brass hammer to mine. 2 Good wacks and it came out.

thanks for the fast replys guys. I hit it with a hammer few times, and really whacked it with the hammer and crow bar, i guess i'll have to remove the shield and really hit it!. BTW i am removing this because i don't have gears yet in my sas. All i have left is to ream my pitman arm and make my draglink. i'll start a thread in a few days when it's finished.

Now have you tried sliding it any? Get the u joint out of the straps pinion thingie(cant think of the name right now) Let it hang and then hit it.

i took the plate off and really hit it hard. two hits and it came out. turns out it was just stuck from rust.

Back