• Register Today It's free!

Can't Replace Upper Ball Joints?

Sallad420

Reaction score
City, State
Kelowna, BC Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XL 4WD
Hi, i just phoned an Autoparts place to get some prices on Ball Joints (upper and lower) He said according his computer it states the "Moog replacement control arms will not fit OEM control arms"

And I have to buy a hole new control arm, which is $240 each. The lowers he said I can replace.

Whats up with that? I remeber reading something on drilling out the rivets, is this what guys are talking about?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've replaced the driver's side control arm ($69 @ pepboys)... easy to do but you'll need an alignment when finished. The pass. side is more expensive ($119) but i didn't need it done. From what i'm told, you cannot just replace the ball joint in the upper control arms. Hope it helps!

Edit: Ooops, the next guy is right...the driver's side WAS more expensive but i mistakenly (HONEST!) returned the passenger side in the wrong box...thus only paying 1/2 the price! If anyone got that part from the store here in Buffalo, SORRY!

You cant replace just the balljoints on the uppers. The balljoint itself is part of the arm. The passenger side is cheaper because that arm is 2-piece and you are only buying half the arm. The driver's side is 1-piece and thus more expensive.

i've always wondered y the passenger side is 2-piece, does it have to do with the elignment?...anyone know??

To allow for caster correction.

Okay, so help me out with this. I have a 97, I CAN replace my lower control arm ball joints with the MOOG's, but need to buy new upper control arms? Where would y'all recommend getting the new uppers? I'm going to start with the passenger side since that's where my clunking is coming from.

Okay, I did a search on RockAuto.com and found the MOOG lower ball joint (part K8695) and the upper control arm with ball joint (part K8708T/K8710T). Does this sound right? How hard are these things to install?

Sounds about right.. Definately want to stay away from those cheap OEM ones that have no zerk fittings..

Back