can't seem to thread sensor into lower thermostat housing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

can't seem to thread sensor into lower thermostat housing

matt351

Reaction score
City, State
Terre Haute, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer
Some reason I can't get the passenger side most sensor to thread into the thermostat housing. Am I missing something here guys?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can't seem to remove the damn thing either. It's like it's loosely stuck in there

insert slipping?

The stock 2nd generation lower thermostat housing is a poor design. The "plastic" housing contains brass threaded inserts for the two sensors. If you're not very careful when removing/installing a sensor the insert will slip and probably leak coolant. I epoxied the insert to the housing to keep it from slipping.
ThrmHsg1.jpg

However, after a few years the epoxy came loose due to changes in temperature and the expansion/contraction of the housing.

In later generations the screw in sensors are replaced with clip in sensors but the "plastic" housing will still eventually crack and leak.
thermostat-revealed.jpg

If you have to replace your stock housing you should consider upgrading to the later design.

I chose to upgrade to an aftermarket, rather expensive aluminum housing.
ClipInstall.jpg

We'll I had to order a new thermostat housing... The insert for one of the sensors pulled itself out... Oh joy... What a craptastic design!

Back