• Register Today It's free!

Car Audio Amp INSIDE

wingot

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Eddie Bauer
yea so i was thinking about hooking up a car amp inside my "bachlor pad" because i have an extra amp and two extra 10's. I know i can get some power to them from some old computer power supplies, and sound to them from a stereo Y cable. my plan is to have the subwoofer out go to the amp from my comptuers sound card. my problem is how do i get the amp to turn on, since there will be no amp turn on signal from my sound card, is there any possible way to "jump" the amp?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

alrite well i think this rig will work.... old 350 watt pc power supply with the ground on the remote... that should turn it on right?

just jump straight from the power to the remote wire- or do that and run a switch to somewhere

well i got my amp riggedup insidewith my old subs. i wired the pc power supply and it works great. simply wired the green and black wires together and bundled all the blacks, then bundledall the yellows. sounds like it did in my car lol

That's actually a pretty similar setup to how most retail stores display subs and amps and whatnot. At least on the most basic level.

You will probably have to do some modifications to the pc power supply to make it work correctly. I haven't modded one in a while, but basically in order to get any power off the 12v line, you need to put a load on the 5v line.

atx power supplies use voltage on other wires for turn on, i havent figured that out, old at power supplies with a button or switch work fine, all mine suck though, i have to leave it way down or it kills the transformer :(

There is a green wire in the atx plug needs to ground to start/run the psu. just cross the green wire with any black wire and the psu will start.

take a power wire and a ground and run it to a battery charger that plugs into the wall, i did it for a while before i was married and the wife moved it. just hook the pos to the pos on the charger and the neg to the neg on the charger just like you were charging a bettery.

Back