Car won't start after remote/keyless entry | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Car won't start after remote/keyless entry

linebacker32

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
I have a '96 Ford Explorer XLT . . . it has a remote/keyless entry system. The problem is that it will not start after I get in it after I've unlocked it using either the key, or the remote, or the keyless entry. I have to press the kill switch to start it.

I've read the manual, but it doesn't give me any information on how to troubleshoot this problem.

the remote that it came with is it a factory unit or aftermarket?

did you buy the truck with the module installed or did you install it?(maybe it was wired as a safety feature, carjacking mode??), if not maybe someone mixed up the pins on the starter kill relay, any model numbers off the modules cover if it isnt factory?

I bought the explorer from my father, who had it in storage for two years prior to me buying it. He said the alarm system and remote/keyless entry system all worked fine prior to storage. That is, you got out of the explorer, locked it, came back and unlocked it (either with the remote key fob or the keypad) and the explorer would start just fine. However, now . . . I have to always reach under and press the kill switch (ie bypass the alarm system) to start it.

I'm not absolutely sure if the how the alarm system was installed, but I don't think it was factory installed. I think it was installed by the dealer . . . either by the dealer themselves or by one of their car alarm companies.

Thanks for your help . . . I think I need to ask my father more about the system. For security reasons, I'm starting to think that he probably disconnected something on the alarm system prior to him putting it into storage that would not allow the car to start without hitting the kill switch. That would be inline with his type of thinking. He just forgot that he did it.

Back