Ford's Remote keyless entry mistake ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford's Remote keyless entry mistake ?

tbirdman

Reaction score
City, State
Sask- Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport 4x4 4.0 SOHC
First of all- have any of you been frustrated by this problem? You leave your Ex running and lock the doors to quick run an errand ( or to just warm it up in wintertime ) . You return with the remote and hit the unlock button and guess what- no response!! According to the owners manual, and Ford service manuals for the Explorer ( year 2000) and other Ford vehicles with the PATS coded keys- the remote keyless entry is disabled when key is in ACC, IGN or RUN positions. Note- the vehicle mounted pin pad still works- which is how I get in & out of the Ex when it's left locked up & idling. Bu the key fob transmitter is disabled in ACC, IGN or RUN. Try it- it doesn't work unless the key is set to off. Now- my question- has any one figured out a way to keep the key fob & remote keyless entry module working during normal running & driving ? I would like to do this to integrate an add on remote start that relies on the key fob remote remaining active to activate on & off functions on remote start by using lock & unlock pulses from Ford's remote keyless entry system. There must be a fix- but as of this writng- I haven't found it. Incidentally- my friends riding with the "General" have no idea what all the fuss is about as there factory remote's work all the time- regardless of key position or running or not.Things that make you go "hmmmmm......"

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a remote starter which I will be installing in a 99. I plan to use the new alarm and remote, which will work all of the time. You might consider doing the same, good luck,

I think the main purpose of that was to not be able hit the panic button or on a car open the truck while going down the highway, but it is pretty dumb.

In VA, it is illegal to be parked in front of a store with your car running and no one in it. Also, there is a module that needs to be bought to bypass the old system when installed a new system (atleast that's how my AUTOPAGE was).

-Drew

Here in Florida you never leave your keys in your car. If you do, chances are it'll get stolen.

To my knowledge, there is no way to fool the system. The GEM is too integrated in the other systems to not know what position the key is in.... there's too many other things tied to it to isolate the one single function.

That being said, there may be a way.... there are a surprising number of features that can be manually enabled/disabled in the GEM using a NGS test stand. Only catch is that the only place I know of to experiment with one is at a stealership. It may cost you some money to find out that there's no way it can be done.

Even with the aftermarket Ford or CodeAlarm systems, when it is integrated properly, there's no way to divorce it AFAIK.

-Joe

The alarm/starter I have will bypass the factory alarm and unlock the doors. The bypass module was about $16, and requires another PATS II key to be locked inside of it. The one remote I have should lock, unlock the doors, start the engine, and arm/disarm the aftermarket alarm. There is a factory disarm wire which is triggered by the aftermarket alarm, to bypass the factory alarm. Good luck,

Seems I'm not the only one trying to enable the fob when the ignition is running.. First thing I tried was disconnecting the IGN wire at pin 25.. Bada Boom Bada Bing fob works with ignition running.. At least for a few starts. Seems the RAP is smarter than me because it has detected the missing IGN signal and has reverted back to normal operation. Kujos to FORD for making something that smart. However this does not help me solve my problem. So back to the drawing board. Now one thing I did notice was that with the engine running the fob range is limited to a few meters. Seems like the ignition system and fuel pump give off a lot of RFI.

bump. this happened to me today, figured I'd bump it as a reminder. I only have 1 key and don't know the touchpad lock info.

My F150's remote works while the engine is running, but I use the keypad on the Explorer.

The keyfobs are turned off with ignition. There's no need for any extra module when you put in an aftermarket remote starter or alarm with lock/unlock outputs. You just hook them up to the power locks/unlock wires. Some older vehicles you need to five wire cause the module is in the door. Put that's still not hard.

It's also called reversing polarity door locks and it's done with two relays and a few jumper wires between them.
door-lock-actuator.gif

Back