Cargo Cover Question

BearHug

Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage, AK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
Hey everyone,

Weird question here, but hoping someone may know. I have a 1994 four door Explorer, and am seeking a cargo cover. I found a guy who is giving one away for free from a 1995 two door Explorer. Will this fit? I've tried looking up dimensions, but having trouble. If it doesn't fit will still plan to get creative with it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes. cargo covers from second gens are identical.

Excellent, thanks for letting me know. Picking it up today.

As much as I hate to disagree with FR...they are not the same. 91-94 use a different rear mounting point on the side panels. Unless you get a freak 94 that has the 95+ mounts(I had one) Also the 2 door cover will be too short for the 4 door.

If it's free, don't worry too much about it....you'll find out if it fits when you get home! And if it don't, you just scored yourself a new eBay item to post for sale! :thumbsup:

So I picked it up, and here's what I've discovered: the cargo cover (from the 95 two door) will not fit the mounting bracket on my Explorer (94 four door). The cargo cover has a mounting doohickey thing that is square with a bulge on the side, while the mounting bracket in my car looks like it is more rectangular. The length and width of the cargo cover looks like it will fit though. It does pull all the way and cover my trunk area, but just barely -- looks like it would need an extra inch or two to fit with out a bunch of tension. I'm guessing that's the 2 door to 4 door difference. The side I pull towards the back does fit into the brackets near the tailgate, but doesn't look like it was designed to.

I can jam one of the mounting things from the cargo cover into one side (near the rear passenger seats), but hard to get the other side lined up (as it obviously wasn't designed for this). I think if I add some duct tape to the equation it will certainly work. Will take some pictures tomorrow as I imagine my explanation requires some visuals.

Oh shoot I missed the detail "2 door"
And yes the mounting brackets can be hit or miss.

You can get the first gen and gen2 brackets pretty easy.

I have the cargo cover from my 94'. It's tan if your interested. Make an offer.

You can have mine out of my 94, but its kind of a drive for you to pick it up.

Long overdue update! Got the 2nd gen cargo cover to fit -- well, sort of. Took a saw to the mounting nub things on the cargo shade, and sawed them so they would loosely fit. The width was a little too long -- probably shaved off a 1/4-1/2 inch of plastic. Got it jammed in and held precariously by pressure. It's also on upside down, but for the time being it hasn't rocked loose -- though I suspect a hard bump might do just that.

Will work on getting a finer fit a bit later, but I'm happy for the time being. Also, thinking I might paint it black as the tan doesn't really match the red interior, ha. Here's a photo: http://imgur.com/gallery/vDScb

Back