cat-back duals?

J. Kennedy

Reaction score
City, State
Acton, Mass
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT
What would you reccomend?

My X's exh is fine, but all the hangers are rotting, and those aftermarket hangers aren't hanging in for much longer.

Considering my wallet, and the tight hangups under the body, a "true" dual setup seems unfeasable.

My wish list:
*a bolt on application
*something that will last the life of the truck (alum treated SS)
*cat back, splitting at the muff, exiting under the bumper
*something at least as quiet as stock
*something that wont be any more restrictive than stock
*cost effective
*with a 20-foot flamethrowing kit (kiddin)

Does gibson or any body make anything like this, or am I screwed?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This might not help much, but I got duals put on my '00 XLT. I thought they would of had a bolt on application for my explorer, but after all that searching; nothing. The Explorer spacing in the rear is a pretty tight fit. I had to take mine to an exhaust shop, and they custom bent some pipes and put on a Flowmaster 40 series for me. They put 2 1/2 stainless steel pipes with 3" chrome tips straight out the back. Also, the guy ran a single inlet-dual outlet 40. If you would like I'll get a picture of just how crazy of a bend he had to do at the rear axle to get the pipes over it. But after he got over the axle he ran one on the backside of the spare tire and then out the rear and the other one was pretty much straight back. He also had to run the pipe between the frame and the leafsprings. It's not as bad as it sounds. But if theres anyway to help...I hope this did. Check my cardomain pages and just look at it. It's clean I think. Good luck.

do you have any pics of the underside? Just so I can see where the exhaust was run?

464729_35_full.jpg

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/8/web/464000-464999/464729_36_full.jpg

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/8/web/464000-464999/464729_37_full.jpg

I hope these help a little bit. Hard to take pictures cause of the tight fit and can't exactly fit my digital up there. The first picture is of my right shock, and you can see the muffler...then you can see how it goes up and over the axle and the pipe on the left is the one that goes to the left side which is picture 2. The pipe is wrapped around the backside of the spare. And then the 3rd picture is of the muffler itself....single inlet dual outlet. Hope this helps.

Hey, what kind of tips did you buy and what's the length on them. I'm going to be doing the dual setup as well this summer and am looking at what tips to get.
Thanks

Might consider just a single catback, 2.5inch, is actually less restrictive than duals.
Catback duals look trick but are show only IMHO

Back