CC not working but lights up (FIXED) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CC not working but lights up (FIXED)

DurianGreen7

Reaction score
City, State
Redding, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999, 4.0L SOHC XLT
Hello, I am new to this forum and I have a 99 Ford Explorer 4.0L SOCH 4D 4WD. I have a problem and would be grateful to get some help and knowledge, so I can DIY simple stuff on the vehicle. Currently the CC on the vehicle does not set. When I turn it on and press set, the indicator comes up but then the speed does not set. Then as usual when the speed goes below 35mph(since it does not set, the speed gradually decreases when I release the gas pedal), the cc light goes off. Any help and input would be much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello, I am new to this forum and I have a 99 Ford Explorer 4.0L SOCH 4D 4WD. I have a problem and would be grateful to get some help and knowledge, so I can DIY simple stuff on the vehicle. Currently the CC on the vehicle does not set. When I turn it on and press set, the indicator comes up but then the speed does not set. Then as usual when the speed goes below 35mph(since it does not set, the speed gradually decreases when I release the gas pedal), the cc light goes off. Any help and input would be much appreciated.
Other than a bad fuse, there are too many possibilities to make a guess.
There is a self test. If your 99 is anything like what my 98 book describes, you enter it by holding the CC OFF switch while turning ignition to ON (not start). The light should flash once to indicate entering static test mode. If it flashes five times next, the servo is bad. Otherwise press ON, RESUME, COAST and SET/ACCEL, in that order. ON must be pressed within 5 seconds of entering test mode. The light will flash codes:

1 flash: Pass
2 flashes: Something wrong with brake pedal switch
3 flashes: Brake deactivation bad
4 flashes: VSS (speed signal) bad or out of range

If the static test passes, it will enter a dynamic test, moving the throttle up and down, and you can observe it to look for binding, etc.

Hope this is applicable and helps some.

I can't offer much, but the cruise control does not work below 35mph or so. Normal AFAIK.
Also, you can check to see if the cable is disconnected at the throttle body.

Thank you @1998Exp and @drdoom for your input. I haven't had time to test it out yet but when I do, I will let you all know

I saw a '97 come in with similar symptoms, the servo was left unbolted at the fender, presumably by the collision center.

Hey, sorry for the super late respond, finally had time to try it out. So the static test passed for me but I have no idea how to do the dynamic test. Anyway I went and check the throttle body and this is what I found.
9659F18D-28ED-45FE-9BB1-7C86FC4A1594.jpeg
any idea what that wire is for?

Are you sure it's a wire? I am not familiar with the 4.0 SOHC, but suspect this is not a wire, but a broken or disconnected CC cable (the CC servo should be installed on the passenger side fender and connected to the throttle with a cable.

Yep. That’s the cable that connects your servo and TB—that is why your CC doesn’t work.

Thanks guys for your super quick respond! Well, I guess it’s clear now what the problem is. Is it an easy fix? Is it recommended to just go to a mechanic for it or is it something that I can DIY?

I can’t really get a good look at it, but remove the throttle body cover (that plastic cover that says 4.0 or whatever on it) and you’ll see where the cable attaches to an arm on the throttle body. It usually just snaps/pops on.

It looks like your cable end may be broken? The more seasoned guys here should be able to tell you if that is replaceable, or if you need to replace the cable. Either way, I’m sure someone on here has an extra, or just go hit up a pick ‘n’ pull junkyard.

Either way, you should be able to do this yourself over a cold one.

Thank you so much everyone for your input! It was super helpful and I got it fix. I went to pick n pull and got the part for exactly $1.53, changed it and hook it on. Works perfectly now!! Thanks again
0FAFC85D-7B07-423A-B29C-28FBE1FCB2DD.jpeg
5F352234-AAB0-49DD-8E98-201EA1DE52FA.jpeg

:usa::)

Back