CCR2001 (Colorado Colors Run) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CCR2001 (Colorado Colors Run)

Ok, the poll to determine the dates for this run is located here:
Dead Link Removed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

HELP out some FLAT LANDERS FROM IL

Hey guys Cableguy and I are thinking of trying to make this run! WE need to know if it would be wroth or time. WE are look at something like 400 or so in gas alone! MATT made the Trip to IN, so i feel it would be right to come out by you folks.

I have never done a run far away from home, and i will be driving my X to and from. Helpful tips, pointers and cash to bring would be great!

Also are most people camping or Hotel?

Tara and I will probably do the hotel thing unless we buy A LOT of camping gear before then... Since we have NONE... I guess blankes and the back of the X would work... But if I'm camping I'd rather have cooking facilities out there too...

Hello There!

I am very interested in this, as commocozy said. I currently run 6" of lift and 33's, with limited slip in rear. A front locker and extended radius arms in front are SOON to follow. I was wondering if this event would be worth the drive, meaning will I be able to take most of the runs or have to back out because lacke of clearance. I am more than willing to drive all the way out there as long as I can have a lot of fun once I arrive!

Thanks, John

so would this be too difficult for a 2wd?

Heath - KOA has "Kabins" that you and Tara can stay in - they're actually quite nice. Just need a sleeping bag and you're set. As for cooking, there are BBQ grills on site and everything else can go into a cooler. Jen & I, along with many others, did this last year and found it worked great!

cableguy - The CCR2001 event will be one you'll never forget - that's a guarantee! Once we get dates nailed down, we'll begin planning the runs, but I can tell you there will be plenty to do for all Explorers - from stockers to Big Dawgs. With your current config, I'd imagine you could run most any trail you choose.

drmoore71 - from what Alec showed us in Moab in his 2wd, I think you could run most of the stocker runs, as long as you're willing to be yanked up any challenging sections. If I remember correctly, last year's stocker runs featured only a few places this might prove necessary. Even if you rode with someone else, or took only "easy" trails, the scenery is worth it!

okay, i'm in!!!

I'd like to see a day at least of hard trails for the bigger dogs.. Maybe something in Montrose?

Not that I didn't have fun last year..

Well, I wouldn't mind going back to ouray but I also would't mind trying something a bit different. I liked where we had our first colorado colors run, bu lets face it, its more for stockers (except for iron chest which I've been dying to try for the longest time, and we just walked that trail last time!) and a few other moderate/moderately difficult trails. I do agree though that the run needs to be scheduled not around hte leaves but around people... we've never coordinated it successfully with the leaves and as long as were planning months in advance - we never will. As we (in colorado) have noticed these past few weeks, the denver weather is never predictable. One day it was 80, then it snowed 6 inches and down trees and power lines. Next day by noon you couldn't even tell it had snowed and it was sitting around 70 degrees, and all this in late May! Every year the leaves change colors weeks apart, and we will never nail it on the head. Personally, I'd rather catch them while there green then catch them when there bare.

WOW round trip from IL to Ouray Co is 2704.2 miles. man what a haul. I think i am going to do this though! I am trying my best to get someone to ride shotgun with me. This way we can switch off driving!

That's nutin' Austin... The round trip from Phoenix to Chicago was 3800 miles :eek:

Whew thats a haul.-

you were able to tow thought! also you wew able to take your time home and back! I am thinking Sargon and I will make the trip. I have to get a locker and i am set.

If i can get sargon to go he will ride Shotgun so we can switch off driving! humm damn got to start saying money!:bounce: :bounce:

Towing long distance is definatly easier on the Explorer, but it's harder on the driver, especially when the tow vehicle has a big camper on it. Fighting the crosswinds is a *****.

It took 4 days to get there and 3 to get back. On the way there I visted a friend in Missouri and that slowed me down.

I saw on the poll thread that Perry can't make Labor Day so I wish we could do it another weekend, but that is the most logical one, especially for those of us who have to drive a long way.

Ouray was exceptional and if that is where we go again I am in like always, but it would be nice to try another area that we haven't been to yet. And anywhere in CO is closer than Ouray for many of us. The best for me (and many others that have to drive from the east of CO) would be another area closer to the center of the state with a good mix of trails of different levels of difficulty.

I'll be there whenever and wherever it is, though.

Salida was an excellent base of operations for our first CCR in 1999. Here is a link to that trip report, http://www.explorer4x4.com/co_fallrun.html

Salida is more towards the center of the state at least East and West.

Rick I was looking at the 99 run and think that area looks good too... Question for you though... Or maybe Matt Adams knows this...

What town is this??? I love ghost towns...

Dead Link Removed

Is that Tincup???

That was St. Elmo.

We would like to thank everyone that is worried about us going.
I talked to my boss today and he said I could probably take one day before or after off, but not both so I guess any weekend is fine with us.
I still like the Ouray area I guess because I would like my folks to see it, but it doesn't really matter. Just give me a roof over my head a warm shower and I'm set.

well... both Salida and Ouray were excellent areas of Colorado. If you guys don't mind I may take a weekend here in a few and visit a different area of Colorado that has been previously unexplorered by well, Explorers. There are two areas I want to check out. For those with the Colorado trail book Volume 1 I the first area I'm referring to is the Crested Butte, aspen, marble (trails 19-26) and in volume 2 the boulder area (trails 10-20). Both of these areas have lots of different types of terrain, from areas like lefthand canyon and jamestown to the devils punch bowl and many other scenic areas near marble. Marble could also be a great sidetrip for the people that were getting sick of four-wheeling. Not that I'm opposed to either ouray or salida because I thought both areas were great, but I'll try to get some folks together and run a few different trails between now and then :).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Matt, the only problem I see with area 2 (just quickly looking at the book) around crested butte is there is only 3 trails rated easy to moderate for stockers. All the other trails are hard. I dont think 3 trails would be enough for a several day run.

Back