CCR2001 (Colorado Colors Run) | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CCR2001 (Colorado Colors Run)

Originally posted by Brian1
Matt, the only problem I see with area 2 (just quickly looking at the book) around crested butte is there is only 3 trails rated easy to moderate for stockers. All the other trails are hard. I dont think 3 trails would be enough for a several day run.

Brian, many of the difficult trails in that area are closer to Moderate then difficult. plus, keep in mind that on the 1999 Colors Run in Salida we did many trails that the book classifies as difficult (mt antero and a few others) and all the stockers made it without issue (including me, an at the time inexperienced driver with a 2-week old stock explorer).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I sure would like to try to go, it just needs to be a challenge this year. If I could get my junk working I will be out there no problem!

It sounds like some people would like to see another area of Colorado, besides Ouray, so I did a little research. Based on what I was able to find out (and this is all just preliminary info), my two alternative staging choices - in addition to Matt's idea of the Crested Butte area (which I like) - would be:

#1 - Leadville
A very pretty area with lots of mining history, it's a bit off the beaten path, yet just 30 miles south of I-70 (like Moab). It's right in the thick of Area 4 in the original Wells book, with close access to many trails of ranging difficulty. It's also reasonably close to Area 3, where the first CCR took place in '99. In addition to wheelin', the Leadville area features many Ghost Towns and other recreational opportunities. There appear to be adequate motel, campground and restaurant opportunites as well. A lot more information about Leadville can be found here: http://www.leadville.com/

#2 - Nederland
My second choice offers good access to trails around Area 2, in Volume 2 of Wells' Colorado Guides. The Nederland area offers more great Colorado scenery and is very close to the infamous city of Boulder - or as Coloradans like to call it, "40 square miles surrounded by reality." ;) It's also about the middle of the "Peak to Peak Highway," which runs 55 miles from Rocky Mountain National Park to I-70. The Park is definitely worth a look - especially Trail Ridge Road (if it hasn't already been snowed in by then), the highest paved (unfortunately :() roadway in North America. In Nederland you're also about 30 minutes from Central City/Blackhawk where you can gamble the night away - if you're into that sort of thing... Once again lodging, camping and other necessities shouldn't be hard for us to find there. While I wasn't able to find very much information about Nederland online, their Chamber of Commerce does have a site here: http://www.nederlandchamber.org/

If Ouray is nixed, I think either of these areas - along with Crested Butte - would provide a decent variety of trails along with some nice scenery. My only concern would be for the Big Dawgs. It looks like each of these areas features mostly moderate/easy trails with nearby access to only 2-3 "difficult" trails. More could be found in the area (especially around Leadville), but might require a fairly long drive to reach them.

Let me know what you think...

How about this...

I just spend a couple of hours looking through the Wells book. I've come up with a trail schedule for the trails around Leadville (area 4). Leadville's not a big place, but I'm sure we can find a couple of hotels and a KOA (for us REAL men). I think we can even find a neat theme restaurant for our dinner out. Flip through your trail guides and see what you think...

Saturday
Everybody - Mosquito Pass from Leadville to Alma (trail 46, moderate).
Stocks - Mt Bross (trail 47, moderate).
Modifieds - Wheeler Lake (trail 43, difficult).
Everybody - Lunch on the trail or in Alma.
Everybody - Back over Mosquito Pass to Leadville.

Sunday
Stocks - McCallister Gulch (trail 41, moderate).
Stocks - Lunch at Resolution Mountain.
Stocks - Ptarmigan Pass (trail 42, moderate to easy).
Modifieds - Holy Cross (trail 40, extreme).
Modifieds - Lunch while someone is doing on-trail welding :rolleyes: .
Everybody - Dinner in Leadville.

There are several other trails around that we could do Friday and Monday.

So what do you think?? Leadville is close enough that I could meet up with some Denver folks for some pre-runs this summer. Anybody been out that way who could advise?

Hey darkMan sounds like you have done your research. They sound good to me. If you are going to do some pre-runs let me know I would like to go. Since we live in the same city we should meet up and do some wheelin sometime.

DarkMan, your trail ideas are kinda what I was thinking - great job! :) Now we just have to wait and see what the masses think... As for pre-running, count me in.

I have heard that Holy Cross is diffently a "BIG DAWG" trail. It is one of the hardiest ones in the state.
I don't think any modifieds would be able to sneak up to that class this time.

Remember you said on the first day for everyone to do one run. That might be to many people at one time. Maybe some could leave a little earlier just to split the group up some.

I'm open for a new location for this years run. Since I'm already driving from Phoenix what's a few more hours...

We're still pushing for Labor Day weekend though.

Originally posted by Perry
I have heard that Holy Cross is diffently a "BIG DAWG" trail. It is one of the hardiest ones in the state.
I don't think any modifieds would be able to sneak up to that class this time.

I'm hoping to try Holy Cross sometime this summer :).

Re: How about this...

Originally posted by DarkMan
I just spend a couple of hours looking through the Wells book. I've come up with a trail schedule for the trails around Leadville (area 4). Leadville's not a big place, but I'm sure we can find a couple of hotels and a KOA (for us REAL men). I think we can even find a neat theme restaurant for our dinner out. Flip through your trail guides and see what you think...

Saturday
Everybody - Mosquito Pass from Leadville to Alma (trail 46, moderate).
Stocks - Mt Bross (trail 47, moderate).
Modifieds - Wheeler Lake (trail 43, difficult).
Everybody - Lunch on the trail or in Alma.
Everybody - Back over Mosquito Pass to Leadville.

Sunday
Stocks - McCallister Gulch (trail 41, moderate).
Stocks - Lunch at Resolution Mountain.
Stocks - Ptarmigan Pass (trail 42, moderate to easy).
Modifieds - Holy Cross (trail 40, extreme).
Modifieds - Lunch while someone is doing on-trail welding :rolleyes: .
Everybody - Dinner in Leadville.

There are several other trails around that we could do Friday and Monday.

So what do you think?? Leadville is close enough that I could meet up with some Denver folks for some pre-runs this summer. Anybody been out that way who could advise?

O.K. so when will it be warm enough we can do some preruns in this area????????
I know there is still a lot of snow up there.

Tom, there is more then just get a shovel out once in a while in case you were wondering!!

I would be up for some preruns and I think Wabbit and Cwistine were talking at Moab they would come over some weekend to do a trail with us.

I need to get my book back from my folks and check them out.

Remember you said on the first day for everyone to do one run. That might be to many people at one time. Maybe some could leave a little earlier just to split the group up some.

Perry, Mosquito Pass is about the only way to get from Leadville to the Alma area, where there's a whole pack of trails. The book said it was rocky, but the real reason for the "moderate" rating was that it crests at 13k feet. I agree, though, that we don't want to tie up the trail with a string of 40 trucks. We'll see how many trucks we get and if there's a bunch, we'll have to change the schedule anyway. I just tried to come up with two full days for stocks and modifieds that kept both groups in the same general area.

P.S. where's the button to insert someone else's quote? for a web programmer, I sure am bad at this message board stuff.

some suggestions..

One major problem I remember from last year's CCR was the long, long loops. Too long in one case.. (mod's loop, was over 150miles!).

I'd like to see them being shorter - more like 50miles. I do understand sometimes there's no other way around..

As for snow, with a group of this size, and people coming who have little or no experience in it, I'd avoid it. (note - I play in snow in the sierras. mum, fun!)

T, Mosquito Pass is a moderate trail that leads to several others on the other side of the divide (Again, this is moderate mostly due to the high altitude. Late Aug and early Sept are the best times to avoid snow pack over the top). There are other ways around, but they are rather long and all paved.

The "loops" that I've suggested are pretty short. The possible long day would be traversing Mosquito Pass twice. The Wells book says that it's only 1 to 2 hours to cross and the trails on the other side are short up and back trails (2 or 3 hours round trip) so we'd be looking at a 6 hour day. That's the longest trail set that I've suggested.

I do want to emphasize that I've just thrown this list together based on the book. Anyone else with knowledge of the area or better ideas, please submit them. :)

Anybody familiar with some of the trails around Estes Park, Ft. Collins, and in a radius of 30 or so miles around Estes? Theres alot of Forest Service roads around there. Just didn't know what people thought of that area.

coloradobound, go back up the page a bit and look at an earlier post of mine. The trails I suggested around Nederland could qualify as being within 30 miles. Otherwise, I don't know much about trails right around Estes/Ft. Collins. But Perry might...

Has anyone been on Pole Hill road off of 36 just outside of Estes Park? My brother has in his Tacoma and said it was a nice trail with good views. And there are a few trails off 7 towards Allenspark. One ends back towards Estes Park, and another meets back up with 36. I didn't have a chance to run any of these last time I was in Colorado. And I really hope to be moved out to Colorado SOON!!!!

Another twist to the CCR 2001 run... Check out this thread. Dead Link Removed

Anybody been on those trails I listed above Ricks post? Just kinda curious.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by coloradobound
Anybody familiar with some of the trails around Estes Park, Ft. Collins, and in a radius of 30 or so miles around Estes? Theres alot of Forest Service roads around there. Just didn't know what people thought of that area.

I live in this area and I don't think the four wheeling is all that good. Most of the people here go up to the area everyone is talking about.

Back