CEL codes 335 and 214

tobbsi

Reaction score
City, State
Båstad, Skåne
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer XLT '94
Hi!

I have a -94 Explorer XLT with a Check Engine Light that is lit.
Like many in this forum it started to come on occasionally but now it comes on just as the engine has started and stays lit all the time.

I have pulled the codes and after getting used to the flashing I get:

KOEO code 335 (DPFE sensor voltage out of range) and CM 214 (CID circuit failure).

I have read alot in this forum and did all the wiring test for the DPFE sensor and found them ok. I replaced the sensor with a new Ford original one and the when I pulled the codes again I get

KOEO code 111 and CM 214.

Eveything fine so far as it seems :) Obviously the DPFE sensor was faulty.
I have reset CM codes and as soon as I have started the engine the light comes on again and the 214 code is to be found in CM again.
Is there any testing to do to verify that it is the Camshaft Position Sensor or the wiring or the Crankshaft Sensor. From my experince with faulty Crankshaft sensors is that the engine won't start at all (my Scorpio didn't anyway) so it is more likely to be the Camshaft sensor. Is there anyone that can verify this or give me any other tips. Otherwise I guess the only thing to do is to change Camshaft sensor and see what happens.

I have now changed my Canshaft Position Sensor and to my surprise the old one wasn't faulty! My CEL code 214 is still showing up! My next thought is if stil is the Crankshaft sensor!? But what could be wrong with that if the car starts? or it could be out of voltage range and still provide enough information to the ICm to send the PIP signal?

Back