• Register Today It's free!

Center Console Shaking

fsubeck

Reaction score
City, State
Eugene, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Eddie Bauer
I have seen this same complaint in some very old posts, but there never seems to really be a resolution posted. My center console on my '97 Explorer shakes violently at around 70 till around 80 mph. I have had my tires balanced and the psi is correct, and I also have recently replaced the ball bearings. The shaking continues though; it is rather unbearable on the highway...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I took mine out and put some peel and seal(roofing material) on the whole bottom of the truck. It helped alot. I plan to do it to my newer truck too just around the console to help the same problem.

My console in my 96 shook like mad also. I had the tires rebalanced. I have not been back on the interstate at higher speeds yet to see of the problem still exists though.

It is just very odd since the only the console; the rest of the car doesn't do it. The roofing recommendation is interesting...what exactly does applying it do?

Because of its thickness, it wedged the console in better. Holding it tighter and taking away the play it had. Also, go through the console and tighten up all of the screws. Some of mine seemed to work loose.

Attachments

• DSC00721.JPG
    DSC00721.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 200

Back