Shaky center console and front seats | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shaky center console and front seats

The outer tie rods are adjusted for the toe.

Did they suggest changing the bolts for camber and castor? Also, if either tie rods were bad they should have told you prior to alignment. But if they're right they may have found the cause of the shaking. If one's shot and they are original I'd do all four and get it out of the way.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They didn't suggest anything. The idiot grabbed the driver's side inner tie rod and adjusted it that way. There's visible grab marks from a wrench on there. As far as I'm concerned, he should be replaced immediately. They shouldn't have people, that don't know what they're doing, working on cars. I'm sure the local shop I'm going to in an hour will suggest if anything needs replacing. Once again, this is a HUGE eye opener as to how these big chain places work.

I had this problem.

I replaced everything, and it the problem persisted.

I had alignments and balances done at 3 different shops.

The problem persisted.

I visited a "high-end" shop that employed experts . . . It was the kind of shop that you knew it was not gonna be the cheapest. They discovered that 2 of my wheels had "just enough" of a bend in them to cause vibration. I replaced them, and the vehicle rolls like a dream. It feels better than new.

They didn't suggest anything. The idiot grabbed the driver's side inner tie rod and adjusted it that way. There's visible grab marks from a wrench on there. As far as I'm concerned, he should be replaced immediately. They shouldn't have people, that don't know what they're doing, working on cars. I'm sure the local shop I'm going to in an hour will suggest if anything needs replacing. Once again, this is a HUGE eye opener as to how these big chain places work.

To adjust the toe in or out you do have to break loose the jam nut and turn the inner tie rod shaft, That either extends or brings in the outer tie rod, depending which way you turn it.

Ah. I wasn't aware of the procedures for an alignment. However, when they were showing me what was making the noise, the tech was turning the inner tie rod with the jamb nut tightened down. That, to me, shows me that he had to have done the entire alignment that way. And if the part was already on it's way out, or already out, they should have told me and not gone through with the alignment altogether.

It can't turn if the jam nut is tightened. And that is only to adjust the toe in and out of the front tires. In order to adjust the camber and caster they loosen the large nut that holds the upper control arms and turn the camber bolt. If it's stock I've never seen a shop not tell you that you need a new camber bolt kit.

***UPDATE*** I went to the local mechanic on Friday morning, and of course the clicking noise when turning left went away to the point that they didn't even bother attempting to fix it. I don't know if this is entirely related to the inner tie rod. But when I'm on the highway, I'm getting front end shaking around 65 MPH+ range. This morning I took the tie rod out of the steering knuckle to see if anything felt or looked worn. I've seen videos of worn tie rods just flop down with no resistance. Mine still has rigidity. But when I move it up and down and left to right, it's making a clicking noise. Here's a video I took of it. You can't hear the noise too well because it's taken with an iPhone camera. The initial click/ pop noise is the most audible, and basically what it sounded like the whole time I was moving the tie rod around. Is that normal noise, or is it on it's way out?

That's not normal. And you most likely can't tell by hand if it's starting to go. Is it original? If it is and you have it off you may as well put in a new one. Get one with a grease fitting.

I think I'm going to get new inners and outers for both sides and just get it done. The trucks got 142,500 on it. I don't know if everything's original or not. Better safe than sorry. And I can get everything on Amazon for around $100. Moog parts are good, right?

That's an awful good deal. And Moogs are good.

If there's not a grease fitting most likely they are original. Most people use a replacement with a grease fitting. And in your video that's the inner tie rod your moving around. The outer is only about a foot long total and threads into the inner shaft.

Kinda looks like it hit off the sway bar link :dunno:

It might've hit the sway bar link. But it's still making noise regardless. And bushings are all there. Put new ones on last month :)

I was just thinking. Do you have a 5.0? Converter shudder is a possibility if you do, and that would generate your symptoms. Change your filter and fluid if you have a 5.0.

***UPDATE*** I installed inner and outer tie rods and ends last week. Got my vehicle aligned. Vibration and a bit of shaking in the steering wheel STILL existing from 70 MPH+. No alleviation of console shake, either. I'm not really in a position to do major repairs due to being laid off from work. I wish I had the money to get a proper diagnosis by a shop. What else could cause these vibrations and shakes? I've also forgot to mention in previous posts that when I'm coming to stops, it feels like I'm going over rumble strips. What could be causing that? The vehicle also doesn't feel like it's rolling smoothly down the road. It's almost a feeling of something not allowing the wheels to roll freely. Even on brand new pavement this is felt. Thanks for any more light that can be shed on this.

One of your calipers might be sticking. We had that problem in our escalade. However I don't know how to see if that's actually the problem other than by taking it to a shop. I only do this because we know a couple guys that work at one near us.

***UPDATE*** I installed inner and outer tie rods and ends last week. Got my vehicle aligned. Vibration and a bit of shaking in the steering wheel STILL existing from 70 MPH+. No alleviation of console shake, either. I'm not really in a position to do major repairs due to being laid off from work. I wish I had the money to get a proper diagnosis by a shop. What else could cause these vibrations and shakes? I've also forgot to mention in previous posts that when I'm coming to stops, it feels like I'm going over rumble strips. What could be causing that? The vehicle also doesn't feel like it's rolling smoothly down the road. It's almost a feeling of something not allowing the wheels to roll freely. Even on brand new pavement this is felt. Thanks for any more light that can be shed on this.

If your pads are good you may very well have a warped rotor.

Rotors and pads were replaced 2 months ago

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Were they the cheap rotors? Also, did you do them yourself? And if so did you buff and clean the hub good before putting them on?

Is the rumble strip feeling a rotor/brake thing or is your ABS acting up? Pull the ABS fuse under the hood and see if the rumble strip feeling goes away.

Back