Shaky center console and front seats | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shaky center console and front seats

Did you ever get the tires rebalanced...?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, I did all the brakes myself. Got ceramic pads all around and decent rotors. I've never had an ABS issue, in terms of the light coming on or anything. I also went out and checked for play in the wheels by doing the 12 and 6 pull and tug. No play at all. Also spun the wheels while they were jacked up and I don't hear any unusual noises. My tires only have 1,500 miles on them and all the weights are intact. I was thinking about getting them re-balanced because it's only $40. I was just hoping someone had a definitive answer for me. Chasing vehicle problems is a PITA!!!!

Bedding in the pads incorrectly may have warped the rotors. The washboard feeling upon braking is a dead giveaway--

The only other thing which would make the front end shake under braking would be severely worn upper and lower control arm bushings.

Also, as others have asked, have your tires rebalanced. A weight may have fallen off, or, you could have a bad tire. Even brand new tires can pop a belt , or, develop a load spot. They should "load test" the tires if their balancing machine is of the newer type. If not, find one which is. 70mph shake is an out or round tire.

A sticking caliper gives that washboard felling too. Freaked me out the first time it happened since i was doing 70+mph

***UPDATE*** Well just got back from a tire balance. The tech told me that the wheels were not bent, and that the tires were almost 2+ oz. off on the front! With only 1,500 miles on these new tires, apparently the shop that mounted them and balanced them initially were asleep that day. Took it on a good 10-15 minute drive on the highway. It's sliiiiiiightly better. But the main issue is still present. I'm feeling a knocking under my feet, and as soon as you hit 70 MPH+, the damn thing takes on this rough, throaty feel in the front end. to describe it, I'd say its the difference of feeling your throat when humming as opposed to feeling nothing on your throat when not humming. Maybe engine mounts? I can't tell if they look bad or not. And I rocked the truck bacn and froth with the hood up to see if there was any movement. Nothing. Once again I'm at a dead end. Frustration ensues........

***UPDATE*** Well just got back from a tire balance. The tech told me that the wheels were not bent, and that the tires were almost 2+ oz. off on the front! With only 1,500 miles on these new tires, apparently the shop that mounted them and balanced them initially were asleep that day. Took it on a good 10-15 minute drive on the highway. It's sliiiiiiightly better. But the main issue is still present. I'm feeling a knocking under my feet, and as soon as you hit 70 MPH+, the damn thing takes on this rough, throaty feel in the front end. to describe it, I'd say its the difference of feeling your throat when humming as opposed to feeling nothing on your throat when not humming. Maybe engine mounts? I can't tell if they look bad or not. And I rocked the truck bacn and froth with the hood up to see if there was any movement. Nothing. Once again I'm at a dead end. Frustration ensues........

The thing is it could be something you cant see. It could have a warp in the driveshaft. It could be something inside the front diff or the rear axle. Could be something in the rack. There are tons of things it could be. I gave up trying to get mine to ride like a Lincoln. I have it pretty good and the rest I'll chalk up to being a 15 year old Explorer, lol.

Back