center console shifter lights not working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

center console shifter lights not working

dxgmmpa

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Ford Explorer limited
Hi, I recently purchased an 06 Explorer limited with many optional bells and whistles. I am new to the forum. I currently has one known problem. The shifter selector indicators and OD button do not light when all other interior lights work. I dismantled the center console and found that there seems to be no switch, bulb or led to replace. Only two connectors. The service manual says nothing and I can't found the console lights diagram in the wiring schematics manual.

I did not check to see if the two wires to the part containing the light source were getting power when the interior lights are switched on because I do not understand how the circuit works. Anyone have an experience with this issue?

What parts do I check?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i say take it to the dealer to let them know about the known issue and talk them into replacing it if you can

Fonicsmonkey... thanks very much for the posting. I saw the light assembly with the two wires that led somewhere but did not investigate it further. Thanks for the confirmation that there is a bulb at the other end that can be changed out. I was hoping it was something simple. I will check it out further tomorrow.

I purchased this truck used from a reputable dealer that is 80 miles away round trip from home. I wanted this exact model and it was the only good one within 200 miles at the price I was willing to pay. The dealer would have fixed it but probably did not know it didn't light because you need to drive it at night to know it needed attention.

I keep my vehicles for a long time and like to learn to maintain them myself. Parts are much cheaper than labor and this forum has already helped me learn more about what to expect from my explorer than I hoped.

Thanks Guys!

center console shifter light bulb can be changed.

http://avancedautoparts.comI just changed this bulb & thanks to all the other posts on this forum it really helped. The part I used is a Sylvannia 74 LL. Just be careful not to break the plastic tabs. After searching the end of the internet & back for this bulb, I walked into Advanced auto parts & there it was.

Back