• Register Today It's free!

Changes to stock air intake box

nodnarb

Reaction score
City, State
MT
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 01
Does cutting holes in stock air intake box and adding a K&N airfilter make a difference? Has anyone done it with measurable results?
Does the KKM air filter setup improve mileage? Don't care about the power, need the gas mileage.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can say without a doubt the K&N filter gave me better gas mileage but more power and responsiveness too. I've got 175k on my 95XLT and clocked around 20mpg tonght. I've been running the K&N for 8 or 9 years. Love it.

I just put in a Purolator paper air filter $9.00 and I am getting 18.6 MPG in mixed driving. I did some research on some of the other filters and yes there seems to be better air flow certainly from the demo I saw. The thing that caught my attention was that they only stop about 80% of the particulate as apposed to 99% for the paper. I could have missed something but that is what stopped me. I also ran into a study done by a heavy equipment company that changed over some of their equipment and they found out during oil analysis that they were experiencing excessive wear on those engines with the high flow filters. I saved the article but it is not on this PC. I can look for it if anyone is interested.

I put a high flow k&n air filter in my 01 sport and i get better accerlation and good gas mileage too.

Cut the front of the airbox off below the level of the filter and install a K&N. Thats what I have and its a great improvement. Sounds better to.

I wrapped some electrical tape around the filter and top of the filter box to hold it in, and was good to go. Bad idea though lol.

I was thinking of fabricating some turning vanes for the bottom of the air box to smooth out the transition. That is what the do in professional ductwork and a lot of other applications.

Turning vanes? what exactly are they?

kind of like a forced air intake. It'll direct air directly tothe filter, allowing for smoother entrance for the air, rather than a turbulint one like we have right now.

Ok just makin sure i got you on that one :)

Very good idea i must say, is it basically like adding a floor duct pipe in except a smooth bend on the outside bend (instead the original bottom of the air box)?

Since I put the k&n high flow air filter and removed the intake silencer when I accerlate on my 01 sport it makes like swoosh noise and sorta like a supercharger noise is that common noise or did I do something wrong.

Do you mean like the sound a police cruiser makes when he steps on it?

Brandons said:
Turning vanes? what exactly are they?
Can you picture a set of curved venation blinds diagonally across the air box or something like that.

not exactly, but i think i got your general idea. Parents are gas fitters so i should know something about duct work but ya know.. i dont remember names... though i know what b-vent is.

The funniest part about my air intake right now... i found the mafs laying on a shelf in my friends garage, he said we should throw it on and damn was it a nice change lol

So what does evryone have about changing just the filter to going with the ram air intake? I had a am air on my 99 cougar, and i have significant gains in hp and mpg,(not to mention it sounded awesome) but that was a small v6...is the principal the same with the SOhC? anyone have the ram ai on their truck?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I put in a K&N filter in my stock airbox and did a nice job swiss cheesing it, to try to get as much total area with the holes as the length and with of the filter. Throttle seems to resond quicker. Don't have scanguage yet to check mileage. But it does sound very nice when I got wot for short passes. Howls...

Back