• Register Today It's free!

Changing A/C compressor on 96 5.0

firepop5

Reaction score
City, State
floral park ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB
I am ready to replace my A/C compressor on a 96 5.0. I have all of the materials I need and have read the sticky on doing this job. There are 4 bolts that hold the compressor in place. I can see the top 2 go into the aluminum bracket that also supports the power steering reservoir. Do the bottom bolts also go into this bracket or into the engine block somewhere? Are my chances of snapping these bolts great since they are original and now 17 years old?

Got compressor kit from RockAuto. The compressor has a label that says it contains 7 ounces of pag oil in it already. Do i have to add additional oil to the system? I will be flushing the system before installing the new parts.

I am ready to replace my A/C compressor on a 96 5.0. I have all of the materials I need and have read the sticky on doing this job. There are 4 bolts that hold the compressor in place. I can see the top 2 go into the aluminum bracket that also supports the power steering reservoir. Do the bottom bolts also go into this bracket or into the engine block somewhere? Are my chances of snapping these bolts great since they are original and now 17 years old?

Got compressor kit from RockAuto. The compressor has a label that says it contains 7 ounces of pag oil in it already. Do i have to add additional oil to the system? I will be flushing the system before installing the new parts.

Breaking off those bolts is a remote concern, IMO. Regarding lubrication, you need to check the Ford recommendation for amount of oil to be included in compressor when replacing. This takes into consideration oil remaining in the system outside of the compressor. Specific guidelines are given for cases where flushing is carried out. imp

Back