changing Air Filter 1998 Ford Explorer XLT... Help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

changing Air Filter 1998 Ford Explorer XLT... Help

galerie

Reaction score
City, State
md
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer
Can anyone give advice, I pulled the two clips off but it seems like the box doesn't want to give. Can someone please give me step by step or know of a site that has this info

I assume you are talking about getting the lid off. I have a 97 and I think the 98 is the same, but when you try to lift the lid, you have to lift the clip side first and slide it toward the clip side as far as possible. Then if you squeeze down on the rubber air intake tube (this leads from the box lid) and tilt the clip side upward it will make it easier to get the non clip side (which has the tabs on it) out of the retaining features. Also it may get hung up of the fender metal but but squeezing the air tube again this will help. When you are putting the top back on, it's pretty much the reverse, but make sure the non clip side is slid all the way toward the fender or else it won't sit properly on the air filter. It just takes a bit of muscle to get it out and back.

I hope that helps.

If I remember correctly there are 2 male tabs on the end closest to the fender and 2 clips on the other side. I assume you have the clips off and out of the way? In order to get the filter out you have to pull the hose assembly back toward the battery side of the car while lifting up on the hose itself (to lift the back side of the cover). It's a pretty stiff hose and will take some pulling to get it up and out of the way. The other option is to remove the hose clamp from the filter top and remove the hose.

Back