2002 XLT Need Help with Spark Plugs :/ | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 XLT Need Help with Spark Plugs :/

stevetastic

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
I know it's probably the most simple job to do but I can't seem to get it right. I have a 2002 Explorer XLT with the V6 4.0L engine and I can't seem to change the spark plugs. I took the old ones out (The truck as 200K+ on it and It looked like the plugs haven' been changed in a while) but When i put the new ones in, it wouldn't start, its cranking but just not turning over. Can someone give me a step by step in changing them? It's my first truck and I think I'm doing something wrong. ow tiht should I screw them in? is there a trick that I'm missing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe one of the plugs aren't sitting correctly?

Check plug wire firing order. (1-4-2-5-3-6)

a0049589.gif

Ignition Coil shown on bottom.

Even of you left out a plug or two, the engine would at least fire and try to start.

Did you leave the ignition wires on the coil pack? Incorrectly reinstalled those could give your symptoms.

After that I can only guess but I'd go looking for a disconnected wire, maybe the coil power and trigger plug as a first?

Even of you left out a plug or two, the engine would at least fire and try to start.

Did you leave the ignition wires on the coil pack? Incorrectly reinstalled those could give your symptoms.

After that I can only guess but I'd go looking for a disconnected wire, maybe the coil power and trigger plug as a first?
I've looked everywhere can't find a thing. Could the plugs bebin too loose or too tight? If so how tight or loose should they be? I don't have a torque wrench so how tight should they be with a ratchet?

Coil pack is fine. Tested to see if I got a spark out of it and it sparked. When I swapped the plugs I did one at a time. Just in case I screwed up I compared my wiring to the ones in that picture and everything looks good.

Maybe one of the plugs aren't sitting correctly?
How can I tell if it is or isn't sitting right?. Thanks for the response It was running OK before changing them (gas milage wasn't what it should be. Which lead me suspect the plugs weren't good)

Back