Changing exhaust mainifolds

jremington59

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Watertown, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997, 99 and 2000 5.0's
I just recently purchased AWD EXP with a 5.0. The motor is a late 96 put into the early 97. I have a crack in the passenger side manifold. It is underneath the heat shield.

I was kind of thinking of doing something other than stock, but have no idea what I am looking for. I would love to hear from those that have changed things a bit and get some ideas.

I was also wondering if the exhaust manifolds can be changed through the wheel wells, or does it have to come out through the top? It looks like it might be possible to come out the wells, but looks like it would be very tight.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just recently purchased AWD EXP with a 5.0. The motor is a late 96 put into the early 97. I have a crack in the passenger side manifold. It is underneath the heat shield.

I was kind of thinking of doing something other than stock, but have no idea what I am looking for. I would love to hear from those that have changed things a bit and get some ideas.

I was also wondering if the exhaust manifolds can be changed through the wheel wells, or does it have to come out through the top? It looks like it might be possible to come out the wells, but looks like it would be very tight.

I just installed a passenger side exhaust manifold on a 2001 V8 Explorer. The job is basically simple but I'm from upstate NY which, is in the rust belt, so everything under the belt line is crusty. 5 of the exhaust manifold bolts came out pretty easy. Three broke off. One of those came out pretty easy another came out after many hot/cold cycles with oxy torch. The last one would not come out and after I broke off a drill bit in it I called it a day and installed the manifold with 7 out of 8 bolts. The two bolts that hold the head pipe to the manifold were not much easier. The backside one was impossible for me to get out so I used sawz-all to just cut through the manifold and the bolts. The next big pain is the EGR tube which also would not come off so it was cut off as well. That was $80 at the dealer to replace and another $37 for a new EGR. If all the bolts would have come out I could have done the job in about half a day but it ended up taking about a full day's worth of work spread out over a week.

Most of the job is done through the passenger wheel opening except for the EGR work which is done over the top. You can slip in the manifold from either the top or through the side. Also, be careful of the AC line running along the passenger wheel well it can break pretty easy.

Just as a side note my manifold was not cracked. It was so rusty that the lower lip on the manifold gasket mounting flange rusted away and the gasket blew out.

Tim

Thx Tim. I'm in Watertown about 2 hrs from you. I got this one from Tenn and their isn't a drop of rust. 2 O2 sensors came out easily with a small 7/8th wrench. Mine has the internal EGR so I don't have the tube....

I'm going to call tomorrow and see about the headers.

I just installed a passenger side exhaust manifold on a 2001 V8 Explorer. The job is basically simple but I'm from upstate NY which, is in the rust belt, so everything under the belt line is crusty. 5 of the exhaust manifold bolts came out pretty easy. Three broke off. One of those came out pretty easy another came out after many hot/cold cycles with oxy torch. The last one would not come out and after I broke off a drill bit in it I called it a day and installed the manifold with 7 out of 8 bolts. The two bolts that hold the head pipe to the manifold were not much easier. The backside one was impossible for me to get out so I used sawz-all to just cut through the manifold and the bolts. The next big pain is the EGR tube which also would not come off so it was cut off as well. That was $80 at the dealer to replace and another $37 for a new EGR. If all the bolts would have come out I could have done the job in about half a day but it ended up taking about a full day's worth of work spread out over a week.

Most of the job is done through the passenger wheel opening except for the EGR work which is done over the top. You can slip in the manifold from either the top or through the side. Also, be careful of the AC line running along the passenger wheel well it can break pretty easy.

Just as a side note my manifold was not cracked. It was so rusty that the lower lip on the manifold gasket mounting flange rusted away and the gasket blew out.

Tim

I just put a MAC intake and catback exhaust on mine. The sound is AWESOME!!! Woke it up a bit and they look great too.

Have to agree that TMH would have to be a top mod though. If you look at the stock manifolds, they are very restricted right at the flange. The rest of the exhaust behind the converters is pretty restricted too.(At least compared to the MAC catback)

Oh yea, there is a guy in Syracuse who has a Gibson catback listed on Craigslist for $150. I was interested but ended up buying mine new for $169 plus shipping off E-bay. Might be worth a look though.

my bolts on pass side are loose and won't tighten.
stripped?
hoping to retap?
i like the header idea though.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned "Torque Monster". Use it as a search term on this site and Google if you don't know what I'm talking about.

Merry Christmas.

Back