Changing Ignition From Keyed to Push Button | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Changing Ignition From Keyed to Push Button

15explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Walls, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 explorer XLT
Hello all, just purchased a 2015 XLT and it has key start. Is there a way to convert it to push button start or is that a major undertaking? It is loaded but the push button start would be nice. just wondering

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum 15explorer.:wavey:
I'm not sure if it is as simple as just changing the switch from a keyed ignition to a push to start ignition. If the 'fit' isn't an issue and the wiring is the same, you might be able to do it. No one has attempted this before.
Also, it would be helpful in addressing future posts if you added the model of your Explorer (XLT) to your profile so that it always shows in the margin.
Keep us updated with anything you find out about this project should you go ahead with it.:thumbsup:

Peter

The intelligent access key security involves no less than three modules in the car. At best, it would be a software update to them by the dealer.

The key credentials are stored in three locations and the car can tolerate replacement of 1 or 2 modules followed by instructions to rebuild the key credentials on the replaced modules. Replacement of 3 modules requires dealer involvement with highly protected software (Ford doesn't share this software too cheaply) to get the modules to accept the new keys.

Plus there would be additional hardware that your car is most likely missing including 3 or 4 antennas used to triangulate the key's physical location (4th would be the backup sensor in the console for a dead key).

I'm oversimplifying and probably not explaining it well, but conversion would not be simple and would require dealer protected software.

An aftermarket solution would be more feasible (like a Viper) that uses it's own sensors and then unlocks the car. Don't know if they have options to convert keyed to keyless ignition though (I do know that Viper has products that can use your phones Bluetooth to sense your presence and unlock your doors)

^^ I was going to mention that in my reply but then got to thinking that if it is just the ignition that is being swapped out, there would be no reason to change or add anything else since the key's security code and that of the vehicle's 'immobilizer' system would remain the same. There is no mention of wanting to change to 'Keyless Entry' which would indeed require more modification.

Peter

I guess my question is if you just bought a 2015, and tou wanted push button start, why didn't you buy one with that feature?

It has pros and cons. I have a keyed start in my Explorer, and push button in my Murano. Really, I can live with either.

Should have waited till the 2016 models...Keyless ignition is then standard on XLT's and up.

It's entirely possible.

The cheapest way is to have the dealership swap out your XLT for a Limited.:D

This may be one of your better options.

http://www.advancedkeys.com/products.htm

There's also a "knob start" system that's a bit cheaper with similar functionality.

I am really looking forward to install these modules which are shown in this web... anyone here tried it?

I habe ford explorer 2015 XLT with remote start feature already.. but i want to install push button feature as well..

Anything is possible...it all comes down to money.

Back