Changing Timing Chain Cover Gasket | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Changing Timing Chain Cover Gasket

tribal599

Reaction score
City, State
Bay Shore, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Mountaineer
Hello folks. I intend to change my timing chain cover gasket on my 99 Mountaineer 5.0 due to a coolant leak. I did some research on my Haynes manual, Youtube and Alldatadyi website. In all this there is no mention of a mounting bracket (I believe this is what is called) that attaches the idler, power steering and AC pulleys to it. Can this be disconnected and move to the side or can I leave it and still remove the water pump and timing cover gasket without the bracket being in the way? Any threads pertaining to this? Thanks your help is appreciated.

It can be unbolted and moved to the side but things will be tight. I completely removed everything on that side but I have an ac machine so it's easy. I went ahead and installed a cam too but now have been waiting nearly 2 months for valve springs

take caution when doing this. there are two bolts (one on the left and one on the right) at about the 10 and 2 o'clock position that go threw both the water pump and timing chain cover and into the block that normally size into place and snap when you try to remove them. you may end up heating the cover to help back them out of place. you can also get at all the bolts without removing the alt bracket and the a/c / power steering brackets. it is a little tight but not too bad

Back