changing wheels on a 91' 4x4? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

changing wheels on a 91' 4x4?

i have a 91' 4x4 with the automatic 4x4 package where the transfer or whatever it i sticks out. I was wondering if i would be able to get a newset of wheels with these or if i am stuck with thestock wheels.

that is my Q, thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey guys does any body know if you can switch these out. I gotta know!!!!!

You're gonna need a 15" rim with a 5/4.5" bolt pattern. With no lift, I wouldn't go any wider than an 8" rim with a 3.75" offset (backspacing). Many rims will fit into this category - anywhere from $40 and up depending on what you want. Hope this helps...

Jon

You can also change out your auto hubs, and put in manual. Manual hubs are a lot better, but you have to get out of your truck to lock em in. You just have auto hubs. they lock in when you push that little 4x4 button on your dash. They use torque produced by the turning of your front drive shaft, into your axles and it turns some clutches in your hubs to lock em in. You have to drive backwards in 2x4 to unlock them like 10-12 ft in a streight line. This is why I hate auto hubs. Any brand wheel will fit on your "X", just as long as its the right size.

Where ever you go to get your rims, they will know what will and what will not fit on the truck. You wont have that much of a problem.

hey thanks alot guys. as soon as i get new rims i will ost pictures of them. by the way would i have to get manuel hubs at the dealership, do they make after market hubs what should i do about those b/c i was already thinking about switching to those.

hey ireally like your explorer. the wheels are bad A$$. just curious but was that very hard to do or did you have it done

The guy did it for me when I bought them. I am pretty sure that it was a tough process to do though.

does anyone know how much it would cause to have the center drilled out so the rims will fit on a 4wd early model explorer?

It cost me $50 a rim

Thanks for the info. Your wheels look sweet on your explorer. What kind are they?? TSW wheels?? Oh, by the way did you have to use a spacer with 19x9 rims in the front??
Thanks

Thanks for the compliments. They are ROH RT rims and they are 18x9" front and back without a spacer.

$50 a wheel isnt bad. it looks good.

Thanks

Hey,
I have a set of 20s for my X. They just got back from the machine shop. I had the center hole opened up so the hub will fit through. I don't know what it cost, the bill has not come in yet. I'll get some pics up a soon as they go on.

Good luck finding some rims to fit......

mikeymed8 - I saw your X on sounddomain.com looks real hot, did you do a test fit of them yet? If so I would LOVE to see pics.

Thanks,
I did test fit them, however I have no tires. I will take a pic to give you guys an idea. I'm waiting for the IRS to send me some money to buy tires. Hopefully in a week or two.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Okay guys, still no tires. Here's a pic of the rims to give you an idea. Let me know what you think.

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

Thanks,
Mike

Back