Charging System Problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Charging System Problem

spc

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 EXPLORER
New problem, new week. My battery keeps dying. I don't get any light on the dash until the battery is almost dead. Then it just says to check the charging system. The battery holds the charge just fine, but when I drive it slowly loses power. So I had the parts store guy check the battery and the alternator. Both checked out just fine.

Is this a case of the the alternator working for a little while and then once everything heats up it doesn't work anymore? I don't know what else to do short of just replacing the alternator.

Should there be a light that comes on if the alternator isn't charging?

Stumped.

Thanks for looking.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just replace both and be done with it

i had a similar issue...both checked out fine in a test. replaced the battery and havent had the problem since. i didnt have any lights or problems except the battery would be dead after the truck was off for a period of time.

I bit the bullet and replaced the alternator. Half an hour later and the truck was charging the battery again.

GLad you got it fixed. :biggthump

my wife called me and says the charging system error is going nuts everytime she hits a bump any awnsers?

If you have the 4.6L engine then you may have the starter wire chaffing down by the oil filter drip shield which is worth checking as Turdle recommends. A year ago our 04 had an erratic "check charging system" messages for a while. I hooked up a meter and loaded the alternator down with all the electric loads and it did fine on voltage. However, I took it apart to find the brushes worn down and the commutator/slip rings with corrosion. I replaced the alternator and no alarms since.

You may have a loose connection at the alternator since it is alarming on bumps.

Back