• Register Today It's free!

chassis problems

daveh91

Reaction score
City, State
san diego
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT 4.0 4wd
Hello everyone, I am more of a old ford enthusiasist, but my daughter recently bought herself a bit of a lemon from a private party and is in need of some assistance. We have a 91 FE that her boyfriend says has a cracked chassis member on the right front side. i have not seen this crack. but i am in need of an parts breakdown for the chassis so via the wonderful internet myself and her boyfriend can determine what is broke and if it can be repaired or replaced. any suggestions for getting a chassis parts breakdown for a 91 FE XLT.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My guess is, he is talking about the radius arm bracket. When the bushing goes bad it will end up going metal to metal.. If you wait long enough it will wallow out the hole and can even crack the bracket. The one on the passenger side usually goes first since it is near the catalytic converter.

The brackets are available and its no harder to replace them than it is to replace the radius arm bushings using the remove bracket method.

If you can get a pic of the break and a wider shot showing where it is we can make sure its actually that simple piece.

~Mark

additional info

Maniak,
thank you for the quick reply. I don't have any picture or much REAL information YET. The information that i do have is that a mechanic my daughter took it to said that the FE was no longer safe to drive and her boyfriend says that the part is refered to as an I beam and has been welded already and has cracked again. he say it appears as if the previous owner had been out and jumping the FE and this part has cracked. he also said the if the part completely cracks the right front end will only be supported by the fender. he alos said the the crack is only visable if the FE is on a lift. he says the at the part can be replaced but is not available throught ford or aftermarket, the kid knows more about it that i do.

Dave

Well, the term Beam means the axle beam.. and I think you can still buy them new (from LMC if not from ford), but I wouldn't bother.. I'm sure there is someone on here that has one Or a junk yard can get you one..

If its the radius arm, that somewhat easy fix (easier than the beam)..

On our X we have had a crack welded on the passenger side beam, about 4" from where the axle pivot is (its the one connected to the drivers side tire). We had that welded 5+ years ago and no issues and we aren't exactly nice to our X (no jumping though).. That was close to 100k miles ago..

Pics are the way to go though.. but worst case if you get get a good description of where it is etc we still should be able to get you pointed in the right direction.

~Mark

Looks like LMC doesn't carry the "beam" but I'd use a junk yard one anyway..

Here is a pic from the LMCTruck.com catalog on the dana 35 front 4x4 suspension (which is what your '91 explorer 4x4 has).

0120.jpg

0116.jpg

~Mark

Thanks

Mark
I am waiting for pics of the damaged part, i don't know how long it may take. in the LMC pics what part is the "beam" i realize it does not have a number, but what part numbers connect to it?

Thanks again
Dave

The the 1st pic.. The text "Bill of Material number will be located here" text is pointing to one of the beams (the one that is cracked/welded on our truck).. The other beam is in the top left of the same picture.

#7 on the 4x4 portion of the 2nd pic is the Radius Arm.. and #8 is the bracket that will wear /break if you let the bad radius arm bushing go too long (except the pic is showing the drivers side.. the passenger side is the one that wears faster)

~Mark

Back