Cheater’s Approach To Axle Pivot Bushings | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cheater’s Approach To Axle Pivot Bushings

Blue m&m

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Athens, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Sport 4X4
92 Eddie 4x4
I searched all over the internet looking for tips on doing the axle pivot bushings on a 1st gen 4x4 without removing the entire axle and everything said don’t do it, or that it would be a two man job that is a supreme PITA. I happy to report I found a couple of tips and tricks to make it happen.

Important tools:
1. Ratchet strap
2. Torch. I used a simple benzomatic.
3. 1 1/4 or 1 3/8 hole saw bit for drill.
4. Fire extinguisher for the torch work.

Parts: get the bushings from James Duff that use the original shell. If you want to use Energy Suspension or any other system that replaces the shell, stop reading here. If you are replacing the shell, go ahead and pull the axle from the truck. In theory you could do the shell replacement beneath the truck, but I sure wouldn’t want to.

Steps.
- jack up the truck and place a couple of jack stands on the back cross member where the radius arms connect.
- Remove the shock.
- Jack up on the outer nuckle, beneath the lower ball joint. Go up a decent way and then use a ratchet strap to keep the spring compressed without the jack. This will help the bushing to pivot down once you pull the bolt.
- pull the bolt from the axle pivot bushing. You may need to use the jack to take a bit of pressure off of it.
- use a pry bar to pull the pivot bushing down where you have clearance to work on it. If you don’t have much clearance, add more pressure on the ratchet strap.
- use the hole saw bit to core out the bushing. This will make it much easier to knock the rest out.
- use screw drivers and pry bars to remove the larger remaining sections of bushing material.
- use the torch to burn out the remaining bushing residue and glue. Most of the bushing is gone, so it won’t really catch fire.
- hit the remaining sleeve with 100 grit sand paper to clean it up.
- install the James Duff bushing replacement. I used a threaded bolt and couple of washers to press it in. Technically you can probably drive it in with a rubber mallet, but I wanted it pressed evenly.
- put everything back together.

To be clear, pivot bushing replacement is a pain, but I’m much happier having kept everything under the truck, rather than pulling the front axle. Total job time took me about an hour per side, taking my time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very good information. I'll give it a try!
Sweet. If you run into any challenges, hit me up and I’ll see what I can do to help. Once you do the front bushing, the back one is easy.

Seems like it could be a good workaround

Hey I like how you did the axle pivot bushings. I have a loud pop and am pretty sure it is my axle pivot bushings at least even with piping my axle can't fall apart. I know the piping would have to get a lot worse to wear through the eye holes. I already bought the bushings and they were oem style and cost me 50 or more dollars but hey I might save them and get me something that can make the job easier.

Back