Check AdvanceTrac message and ABS problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Check AdvanceTrac message and ABS problem

rk-8

Reaction score
City, State
Brecksville, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Eddie Bauer Explorer
'03 4.6l Eddie Bauer. Had a christmas tree lighting ceremony on my dashboard the other day. Normal driving and no issues and had Check AdvanceTrac message in my console, ABS light came on, traction control light came on, and 4x4 High light would flash a few times and then turn off only to repeat sequence every few minutes. AdvanceTrac was off and I was unable to turn it on. No issues driving.

On startup the ABS light remains on for a few seconds before turning off however front ABS is engaging at the tail end of light braking similar to what I'd expect with a speed sensor problem. After a few minutes of driving the above sequence (Check Advan/ABS/Traction/4x4 High) occurs, advancetrac shuts off, and then the ABS no longer engages and my Explorer drives fine. Is it just nannying my ABS system and shutting it off completely?

Almost ready to turn 80k on the odometer. Replaced rotors and pads last Fall.

I'm planning on putting the truck up this weekend and taking a good look at suspension and speed sensors. Anyone with any clues on what to look for or any info on how to interpret what the above sequence might mean your help would be appreciated.

I don't need ABS in the Orange Barrel season so if there's a way to shut it off at startup while waiting for a new sensor that'd also be a useful tip. Just shutting off AdvanceTrac seems to just reduce the nannying but the ABS stays enabled.

//Crap. Just realized I dropped this in the wrong forum and the edit opptions don't seem to include deletion. If a mod can move it I'd appreciate it. Sorry.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thread moved

I think you are on the right track by checking the ABS sensors. Unitized wheel bearing--hub movement could also cause the abs sensor to read erroneously.

Same thing happened on my 07 last week.
ABS light flickered came on, wrench light (drivetrain) came on and traction control light came on.

I took it to the dealer and it turned out to be a cracked rear ABS tone ring. A $27 part with $300 labour.

According to the dealer these thing crack all the time, yet ford hasnt issued any kind of warranty coverage on them.

EDIT: ABS light does not mean there are codes stored, that would be O/D. in anycase, plug into her with a code reader, should help you pinpoint whats wrong with the vehicle much easier.

Mike: my dads 07 hasnt had a single problem with it in almost 4 years. understand that by all the time they probably mean once or twice a month, a relativly low number considering that they sell amost 100k explorers every single year. also, for there to be a recall, it either has to be a VERY common problem, or has to cause risk to someones health. a bad Sensor for ABS does neither.

make sure who ever 'reads' it, has the ford enhanced codes, ABS codes in particular. Of course the stealership can, i also found some local brake shops who have the capability too for half the price. Then can pinpoint the sensor. In the end i bought software for my laptop to do the same. Seems the most likely culprit in order - Master Cyl Switch $20 (might be a recall on yours), Rear ABS sensor on the diff $50, then the fronts $65 (but might be an indication of a wheel bearing going out too). . .

This problem happens when a wheel speed sensor goes bad, but this can also happen if the sensor is good and the wheel bearing goes bad in which case replacing the sensor alone will get you nowhere. It could also be a problem with the mechanical section of the sensor which would also call for the whole hub to be replaced. If the bearing has enough play in it, it can cause the ABS light to come on. It throws off the mechanical signal that the sensor monitors and trips the light. The first thing you need to do is have the ABS trouble code read to find out which wheel is having the problem. I had a code of C1234 which indicated a RF wheel speed sensor input missing. C1233 is the LF wheel speed sensor input missing. I also had a code of C1148 which said RF wheel speed sensor circuit failure. I don't know what the rear speed sensor codes are. It turned out to be a bad wheel bearing in my case. If you get this problem the first thing to do is have the code read. Then have the wheel bearing of the specified wheel checked. If it has any play in it at all, I would go for the whole hub. Good luck! See the thread on "How I replaced the front wheel bearing on my 05 Explorer" for some good tip's that will save you time and agrivation if you're doing a front hub!

I have same trouble. code says both L&R sensers are bad does that happen or is something else causing it?

2005 explorer abs advancetrac

abs avancetrac lights on.code reads both L&R sencers are bad.does that really happen or is it something else. need help please. update replaced both at 170000 miles for $240 at advance auto with15% off for both somewhat easy drives great now. what a diff.guess two can go bad at same time took about 2 1/2 hours.advance read codes for me

Back