• Register Today It's free!

Check Engine Codes

mmiller1980

Reaction score
City, State
Spokane WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT
Morning... ok, so I have a total girl question....

I know my basics on cars, but anything more than that and I'm going cross-eyed.

I just bought a 2001 Ford Explorer XLT (bought as-is, being used of course). Drove it from the dealership to my house (about 15 miles) everything was perfect. Took it 2 miles to the store and the check engine light came one. Stopped at Auto Zone and had them check the codes... Came up with P0171 Bank 1 and P0174 Bank too (both system too lean).

Can someone please tell me what this means (preferably in layman's terms)?

Thanks!

OBD Codes P0171 and P0174

This code is a common code to the Explorer Sport and Sport Trac. It is normally the elbow that is located under the throttle body. It tends to crack on the bottom and needs to be removed to examine it.
You can replace it with a small piece of heater hose that is 5/8 inch. But heater hose is a quick fix. The hose will soften and collapse causing other problems. We recommend you purchase a PCV elbow or the replacement part form a dealer.

(Motorcraft KCV 190)

OBD Codes P0171 and P0174

This code is a common code to the Explorer Sport and Sport Trac. It is normally the elbow that is located under the throttle body. It tends to crack on the bottom and needs to be removed to examine it.
You can replace it with a small piece of heater hose that is 5/8 inch. But heater hose is a quick fix. The hose will soften and collapse causing other problems. We recommend you purchase a PCV elbow or the replacement part form a dealer.

(Motorcraft KCV 190)
Thanks swshawaii! I appreciate the help.

Back