• Register Today It's free!

Check engine light just came on

SilverBullet

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Eddie Bauer AWD 5.0
So, my oil change is overdue. It's been about 6k miles since my last oil change. I've just been very busy, and have been wanting to change to synthetic so I've been putting it off and putting it off.

Tonight I'm driving up to the car parts place to buy some oil and a filter, and on the way there my "Check Engine" light comes on. Mind you, I have 10 minutes before the store closes and I'm still on my way, so I accelerate pretty hard from a stop light, and mid acceleration the light comes on. Does the message center, which is telling me "Oil Change Required" play a role in this? When I change my oil tomorrow and hit the oil change reset button, with the light go off? or am I in trouble?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

dirty oil might casue a trigger to the light... however reseting the oil counter will not clear the cel code.. you need a code reader.... they could be completely unrelated also... best thing to do is get the codes read and figure out what actually caused the ligth to trigger....

That's what I thought.. but I was thinking maybe, if the oil reset button wasn't pushed within a certain length of time the "oil change required" message showed up, that it would trigger the check engine light to come on to make sure the person knew to change the oil.

I highly recommend never starving your engine like that. Friction is your engines WORSE enemy. Oil changes are vital to long life. I recommend, like most shops, 3500 miles/3 months. Now if you run synthetic (which would be best for you Silverbullet), I would say 6-7K/6 months.

Oil loses it's protection after awhile and that is why it's recommend to change it, somewhat, so often. Just some thoughts.

-Drew

Changed my oil, did the reset and the check engine light didn't go away.. which I partly figured. So, I went up to my trusty local garage and had them check it out. 10 minutes later and $120 lighter, they determined the code was caused by a faulty coil pack. He reset the computer, and tested everything, said it was fine. And on my merry way I went.

Glad it wasn't anything serious.. unless my coil packs start bursting in flames or something.

yall my check engine light has been coming on everytime i drive off and on, never copnstantly stay on only for like 10-20 min intervals. i had it checked out and the dudes at the shope said everything was straight. last year i saw a discussion with the check engine light and another member said it mkight be electrical

JThelen..Get the codes read..See what they say...They will tell you what is wrong. You can do it yourself for free. Just go to checker or autozone

ok i will check it out and post thanx

ExplorerDMB said:
I highly recommend never starving your engine like that. Friction is your engines WORSE enemy. Oil changes are vital to long life. I recommend, like most shops, 3500 miles/3 months. Now if you run synthetic (which would be best for you Silverbullet), I would say 6-7K/6 months.

Why do you say he "starved" the engine?

Back