Check Engine Light?? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Check Engine Light??

I can only speak for my '97 but my catalytic converters and PCM were covered for 8 years/80K miles. It is probably the same for your '96. Read your warranty information booklet in detail to find out about yours.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by Brimark
I have an appointment to have someone read the codes for me on Wednesday. Cost is about $85. Anyone know of a place in Everett or Seattle Washington that will read the codes free or of a lower charge?

I will post the computer reading codes so hopefully it will help others with the CEL problem.

Several people have had their codes read at Autozone for free. My local Jiffy Lube will read your codes for $20 also.

Just wanted to thank everyone for their help on this CEL problem. I finally got a mechanic to check with his reader (he let me know that it cost him over $3,000)and the computer pointed to the O2 sensors (2) before the CAT. Mechanic showed me where they were located and only problem I see now is locating the wire harness. Is this hard to reach? Do I need a O2 tool to accomplish removing and reinstalling to O2 sensors? I found replacement o2 sensors at Pep Boys for $49 each. Not too bad. By the way, this "backyard" mechanic charged me $20 to check this problem and let me know for that initial fee, he would reset the computer if necessary -if unplugging the battery and waiting for over 20 min does not work.

Thanks again....

You can use a normal open-end wrench to remove the O2 seosors. The clip is tough to get loose, but my dad and i got mine off.

Naw changiing 02's are easy. Just use open ended wrench and you'll be ok. Also, start the truck and run it for like five minutes before you do the work. It'll make the exhuast expand and it's easier to loosen.

Another tip. Changing the O2 sensors was probably the easiest thing on the truck I've done.
The 'clip' for the drivers side is real easy. The clip for the pass side, can be gotten to the same as the back plug. Turn your wheels full to right, take off inner fender shield and on the back of the block there it is in plain sight. Just a little hard to reach, unless you take the wheel off and give some more room.
2 O2 senors changed out in 34 minutes.!!

OK GOT MY ANSWER ...LOOKS LIKE THERE ARE 2 SENSORS ONE ONE THE DRIVERS SIDE AND THE OTHER ON THE PASSENGER SIDE. THANKS FOR THE INFO ON GETTING TO THEM. I ASSUME THEY ARE IN PLAIN SIGHT?
AND DO I NEED TO CHANGE THEM BOTH AT THE SAME TIME? CHECKED AUTOZONE AND THEY ARE $50 EACH!!

MGV,
yes you should do both at once. Also I dunno if the 94 or older had 2 sensors...you may have one. Have you looked?

Thanks again for all of the advice from everyone. I have almost zero knowlege of engines and with all of the help, managed to change the two O2 sensors before the cat without any problems. (took about 30min). Thanks for the advice on the passenger front tire well, this made it very easy to reach the wire harness. Since last night, when I finished this work (changed my serpentine belt at the same time) (easy) the 96 Explorer is running like a charm. I reset the computer again and finally it stayed off over 50 mph. If I can change all of the plugs, wires, 02 sensors, belt, you can too....

Last summer, I also had this same problem, we changed the plugs and cleaned the mass air sensor filament (thanks to the help from this Explorer site), haven't had a problem since.....I take that back, I went mud wheeling this last weekend, have mud everywhere under the hood and the check engine light came on a few times so I know there is mud on the filament. I'm going to start cleaning after I get it back from having the cluch fixed too!:eek:
Explorer Anne

I bought a code reader at Wal-Mart for $20.
Works very well. I was getting a check engine light and the codes pointed to the EGR valve (valve not closing).
Codes 33 and 332. This could also be the pressure feedback sensor, but since it COULD be the valve and I had to take it off anyway to clean out the passages, I replaced it. Reset the codes and so far, no check engine light. While the codes aren't precise, they do point to a general system (O2, EGR. MAF. etc)...

Just my two cents...

MGV,
yes you should do both at once. Also I dunno if the 94 or older had 2 sensors...you may have one. Have you looked?

well here is what I have found out I have a 91 4x4 92 2wd(parts tucks)
running 93 sport and running 94 xlt 91 and 92 seem only to have a single o2 sensor
the 93 and 94 have dual o2 sensors

Back