• Register Today It's free!

"Check Gage" Light On - But Why?

YamahaRick

Reaction score
City, State
Metro ATL, Georgia USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT 5.0
1996 4D Explorer 302 V8 with 210K+ miles; has been in storage for most of the past seven years.

When last used, the CE light was on, due to emission codes - and I was ready to get those resolved, as I want to start driving it again. I actually used the van on a regular basis last year, but for the most part, it has been parked for 12 months.

The battery was dead, but thankfully I received a replacement under warranty for free from Sears (< 2 yrs old). Since the battery was dead/disconnected, the CE is no longer lit, but the "Check Gage" is now on ... and I can't figure out why. Still no OBDII codes appear when a scanner is connected.

I did notice that the oil pressure guage is not in its "normal" position; it might be physically stuck stuck (I read somewhere that it is only a "yes-no" type). But could that cause the CG light to be on?

How much is a tool to check oil pressure, and how is it done?

Should I use some sort of oil additive to help clear a possible clogged oil path? If so, what do you suggest?

TIA.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the reply. It is probably due to the low reading of the oil pressure guage. I bet the sending unit is gooped up.

Is there an oil additive that ~may~ resolve this issue?

Don't drive or run that engine to much until you accurately test for oil pressure. You could do a lot of engine damage if its truly low. The check gauge is doing its job, telling you to check the gauges. They call them "idiot lights" for a good reason.

Just change the oil pressure switch, its cheap and they go bad all the time.
Right next to the oil filter.

They call them "idiot lights" for a good reason.

HEY ... I resemble that remark! ;-)

Just change the oil pressure switch, its cheap and they go bad all the time.
Right next to the oil filter.

Went to Advance Auto and discovered exactly that ... and it appears that even I can complete the replacement.

Went ahead and got some gas treatment and Sea Foam, and will apply both. Will use SF as an oil additive, then get oil changed immediately afterwards.

Follow Up

Well, my Explorer is back on the road. Even looks pretty nice after getting it washed Friday.

After driving it a few days under various conditions, the "Check Engine" light never re-appeared, and my PC scanner software verified no trouble codes. I took a chance and went ahead with the emissions test, and passed!

I went out of town yesterday, and returned today, driving a total of about 300 miles. My only concern was gas mileage; it's been so long since this was my daily driver, I could not recall typical gas mileage. And partial fill ups did not allow me to guess correctly. So I connected up my PC and used the dashboard feature of my OBD scanner software to verify mileage. 70-75 MPH driving on the Interstate resulted in close to 20 MPG; I think that is decent. And I believe my city driving will be around 15. My recently wrecked daily driver gets 20/25, so my fuel bill will increase (and I also buy mid-grade for the Explorer, typically 10-15 cents more/gallon).

After verifying that replacing the oil pressure sending unit is not as easy as first thought, I'll probably have a shop replace it. I may also get a "real" oil pressure gauge as well.

I still have a few lingering issues with it, but I will address those in a separate thread. Thanks to all that contributed to this one.

Don't bother with mid grade, waste of money. Gas mileage sounds about average though

Well, my Explorer is back on the road. Even looks pretty nice after getting it washed Friday.

After driving it a few days under various conditions, the "Check Engine" light never re-appeared, and my PC scanner software verified no trouble codes. I took a chance and went ahead with the emissions test, and passed!

I went out of town yesterday, and returned today, driving a total of about 300 miles. My only concern was gas mileage; it's been so long since this was my daily driver, I could not recall typical gas mileage. And partial fill ups did not allow me to guess correctly. So I connected up my PC and used the dashboard feature of my OBD scanner software to verify mileage. 70-75 MPH driving on the Interstate resulted in close to 20 MPG; I think that is decent. And I believe my city driving will be around 15. My recently wrecked daily driver gets 20/25, so my fuel bill will increase (and I also buy mid-grade for the Explorer, typically 10-15 cents more/gallon).

After verifying that replacing the oil pressure sending unit is not as easy as first thought, I'll probably have a shop replace it. I may also get a "real" oil pressure gauge as well.

I still have a few lingering issues with it, but I will address those in a separate thread. Thanks to all that contributed to this one.

You can turn your fake oil pressure gauge into a real one just by putting a jumper wire over the resistor in the cluster and changing the pressure switch.

There's instructions on this forum just search real oil pressure gauge.

Back