"Check Gauges" 2005 Sport Trac | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

"Check Gauges" 2005 Sport Trac

2005 Sport Trac runs fine but when in park, turn key off an take out, the ABS, Check Engine and "check gauges" light comes on and the radio doesn't turn off. This drains the battery.

Here's what I've checked:
1. Checked the battery and alternator. they are both good and charging.

2. Test light and pulled and checked all fuses. Inside and in engine bay. Fuse #25 pulled and all lights and gauges go off except the ABS which stays on. Still a draw on the battery.

3. Replaced ignition switch. No effect problem still there.

4. Checked for loose positive and ground wires. None found

5. When running everything works fine.

6. Scanned, there are NO codes.

This is how it looks when the key is out epoxy flake flooring boston. There is a draw on the battery and power windows work. Radio does too

View attachment 437864
Did you replace the ignition switch or the key cylinder switch? Do you have a test light and wiring diagram to be able to check the output of the ignition switch for power with the key in the various positions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Replaced the ignition switch, not the key cylinder.

still no progress, I'm about to give up

it would be helpful if you would answer the questions here
So far it looks like
Your cluster does this with the key out
you bought another 05 cluster, does the exact same thing? (this is a question)

You then sent your original cluster to circuitboard medics, it comes back "repaired" and still does the exact same thing
when asked if you called them to discuss your repair? (question) you said you don't understand that logic
DID YOU CALL THEM and say, "hey you repaired my cluster but it is still doing SO and so"? (question)

When you pull 25 the lights go out except for the abs light, correct? (question)

answer the questions maybe we can help you move forward!!

I would remove fuses that have anything to do with cluster and radio one by one until the lights go off. This will narrow down what circuits are causing the issues, then we know where to look. It could very well be a power issue in the power dist box, perhaps the pcm relay. The cluster in the 05 is suspect because it’s a one year thing and they added the battery saver relay to the cluster (silly)

I have 05 wiring book. We just put a v8 into a 05 trac and I was able
To get everything on the stock cluster working except for the odo

Getting the 05 wiring book is a good idea if you plan to do any troubleshooting

Back