• Register Today It's free!

Checking Compression Question

duke16

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0L AWD XLT
When doing a compression check on each cylinder, should I leave the other spark plugs in, or remove them all? I've seen threads mentioning both ways.

Also, just checking I've got my procedure down. I just attach the gauge to a spark plug hole and crank the engine for a few seconds to build pressure. Is that right?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've been told that the engine should be warm and the throttle should be fully open. Also, don't forget to remove the fuel pump relay.

And disconnect the coils.

By taking the plugs out, you are making it easier on the starter, battery, etc to crank. That's it. If I was just checking one or two cylinders, that's the only plugs I would pull. If I'm checking them all, I would pull them all. They all have to come out anyway.

Do I have to disengage the fuel pump if I pulling the wires and coil pack?

Yes. Just pull the pump relay in the box under the hood. Your owner's manual will tell you what one.

Thanks.

I did the passenger side today and all four were within the 120 - 130 range. Does that seem low? I help the ignition down for about 4 seconds each time... so maybe it wasn't long enough...I'm not really sure how to tell when 1 stroke has completed.

I usually try around 10 revolutions on each cylinder to get max reading & I do a wet test too to check if rings are bad.

Watch the gauge. It will take about 3 good sized jumps then pretty well level out. That's on a good cylinder.

For future reference for anyone else checking all 8 cylinders... have someone on standby to jump you. I only seem to be able to get through 6 before my battery dies.

Then you need to check your battery and charging system. And that will also contribute to poor compression readings.

Back