Checking interest: 2001-2003 Custom Gauge Cluster Overlays | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Checking interest: 2001-2003 Custom Gauge Cluster Overlays

mms1361

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford explorer
I just sent a lengthy email to www.whitegauges.net thanks to user Kjhadfield.

I contacted the company about making custom white gauge faces for 01-03 Explorer Sport Trac Clusters. I know the original gauges are already white, but these custom faces would include two new things if there is enough interest to produce them.

1. They will replace the factory green hue that the original faces have in place of a transperent or blue hue.

This will eliminate the need to sand off the original green tint when doing a bulb swap so the color of the bulb can show through.
This might also help the light disperse better so you dont have visible hot spots. Depending on their manufacturing process.

2. I requested they make an optional 10mph increment overlay like the one pictured. I have only seen this overlay in one cluster EVER(the one pictured). The optional 10mph overlay will include the above only that it will have 10mph increments instead of the factory 20.
od1.jpg

Swapping out the 01-03 Explorer Sport/Sport Trac cluster is a popular mod within the ranger community.

The Sport/Sport Trac Gauge Face overlay should be a direct swap for any
98-03 Explorer Sport Cluster
98-03 Explorer Sport Trac Cluster

and any

98-03 Ranger
98-03 Explorer
Provided they have a tachometer (need confirmation the internals are the same)

Assuming the Pricepoint is the same as 99% of the products on their site ($20 USD)
Would anyone be interested in purchasing a kit?
Would u prefer a 10mph or factory20mph?

This is not a classified! I am not selling a product! Im only seeing if theres enough people interested so that the company would be more persuaded to make a gauge face kit for our vehicles.

The companys own words: We also release white gauge sets depending on how many requests we receive so post our link on your favorite forum so you can get your vehicles white gauges released quicker.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would definitely be interested, however i'm from Canada and i don't see anything about shipping to Canada on their site so that would suck...

I would not be interested at all.

After pulling the needles of my Nissan Titan I swore I would never do that again.

The gauges in our truck look great, I do not see the need in changing them.

YMMV

Another option to consider would be a gauge cluster that has higher RPMs (say 8000) and a higher MPH reading (say 150). I'm sure those with superchargers, some type of engine swap, or even the street trucks would appreciate something like that

Another option to consider would be a gauge cluster that has higher RPMs (say 8000) and a higher MPH reading (say 150). I'm sure those with superchargers, some type of engine swap, or even the street trucks would appreciate something like that

And a volume knob that goes to 11 is always nice.

The tach has a sweep range, you'd need to modify the whole tachometer to make it read 8000 rpm's. A new overlay isn't going to do this.

The tach has a sweep range, you'd need to modify the whole tachometer to make it read 8000 rpm's. A new overlay isn't going to do this.

What I'm trying to say is, having a factory look for upgrades would be pretty cool. Like, imagine if you could fit a boost gauge on there? I think that would be sweet

What I'm trying to say is, having a factory look for upgrades would be pretty cool. Like, imagine if you could fit a boost gauge on there? I think that would be sweet

These are gauge OVERLAYS. This is what you will be purchasing if they make them.
IMG_2151.jpg

IMG_2152.jpg

They will simply replace the STOCK overlay.

As this user stated the motors in the gauge have a set range. Sure they could...make an overlay that reads 30000 RPMS if they wanted to but it wouldnt do YOU any good because it will have an incorrect reading since your motors are for 6000RPMS.

The same thing goes for the boost gauge addition. They cant print it on the overlay because why: Theres no gauge for it and it wont do you or the general public any good. They have to make one with with the gauges you already have.

If you wanted additional gauges in there you should just remove the cluster housing, cut out a panel the shape of the housing and stick as many gauges in there as you want.

The company as good as it is will not make custom one off pieces with custom boost gauges, rpm gauges, mickey mouses and spongebobs cutouts on there. WHY? Because it is not profitable. They want a universal product that will sell for years to come.

The 10mph or 20mph replacement overlay kit would do that because it will appeal to a majority. They might even produce their own customized fonts or backgrounds once they have the template.

I see. I thought they were complete gauge clusters lol

Imo, seems like such a minimal change that it wouldn't warrant putting into 'production'. I'm not sure how many would care for 10mph markers- especially when all you have to look at is between 20s. You'll be better off, if this is something you really want, to find a donor (if this is your dd) and send it to them with your request. I thought they had an option like that obviously it would be more $ for a custom

I got lucky on what I got charged after I bought the 90% match hvac overlay (I wanted it white background to match the instruments). I payed 1 way ship and besides the original purchase-nothing. I had good dealings and experience with them which is why I suggested.

The 01-03 gauges are different from the 04-05? Because mine has the 10 mph increments and looks like how you're wanting it to.

EDIT: oh wow they're actually quite a bit different. Learn something new everyday I guess

looks like this is one of the last few places for gauges. i bought mine from speedhut years ago (they did white face, with flames and the lighting is blue at night AND they did them in KM's for me) but looking at their site now, they dont do custom clusters like that anymore.

Back