cherry bomb cat back system for explorers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

cherry bomb cat back system for explorers

Brooner 115

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport
Hey Guys I went down to my local Mieneke and they said it wotl be $179 for a cherrybomb muffler istalled with a Y pipe (that they would have to make themselves) and I think thats really reasonible. Then I came across these Vortex cat back systems for explorers from CherryBomb. Now cherrybombs site is kinda weird the way it's set up with no prices or anything so I will have to call and see how much it will be with shipping and everything.

HERES THE LINK FOR THE CAT BACK SYSTEMS

http://www.cherrybomb.com/cars_new.asp?make=FORD&model=EXPLORER

Also will any of these systems fit a 1998 Sport??? I know the dual inlet pipes are a VERY odd length apart and no Y pipes fit it so I don't Know if any of these will work.

Thanks for looking!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Guys I went down to my local Mieneke and they said it wotl be $179 for a cherrybomb muffler istalled with a Y pipe (that they would have to make themselves) and I think thats really reasonible. Then I came across these Vortex cat back systems for explorers from CherryBomb. Now cherrybombs site is kinda weird the way it's set up with no prices or anything so I will have to call and see how much it will be with shipping and everything.

Also will any of these systems fit a 1998 Sport??? I know the dual inlet pipes are a VERY odd length apart and no Y pipes fit it so I don't Know if any of these will work.

Thanks for looking!

Hey,
I will tell you what I did before I did extensive exhaust work

I have a 1999 sport which is dual inlet, single outlet. I personally cut the muffler off with a sawzall and welded a magnaflow Y pipe on myself

http://www.performance-curve.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=169

There is a peice of metal that holds the two pipes together before the muffler. This needs to be cut and shortened. Clamp the two pipes together a bit and the Y pipe will slide right on. This NEEDS to be welded due to the slant the inlet pipes will go in at. You can now hook up any single 2.5" in/out muffler. The muffler will need to be offset in, center out.

Another alternative is getting a muffler that has dual 2.25" inlets. Flowmaster makes a 50 series SUV muffler that has this.

I now have a offroad Y pipe, high flow cat, and 2.5" piping from headers back

Thats not a bad price at all for a Cat-back installed. I say go for it. I've been wondering how that muffler would sound with a 4.0 as well.

Dan

did u get the cherrybomb installed brooner

Nah, not yet, Its cold out, snowing, and i want it to get me through the snow with out anything falling off (maybe the muffler or the truck breaking down) so I think Im going to wait for summer to have anything else installed on her.

I just want to do all my homework before I get an upgrade too, you know make sure it will all fit with a good outcome.

If they install it, they will weld it all up for you, no worries about things falling off.

Dan

After sitting in a Meineke waiting room, and hearing a customer return with an exhaust issue, I'll pass on my local Meineke.

The guy had a Neon, and the exhaust was riding on the rear axle beam. They welded the muffler to the tow hook, and the weld broke
wtf.gif

The guy that did the work at my local Meineke did an excellent job of bending and welding everything. He was an older guy with a little more experience than most of the younger guys working at those shops. I guess it all depends on who you have doing the work.

Dan

Thanks for looking!

Not likely any of those systems will work as a direct bolt-in... they'll be close, but will require some custom fabrication. Any reputable exhaust shop will be able to make the modifications necessary to get it to fit.

As you've discovered, the rub with the 98 Sport is the exhaust inlet... One is flanged, the other is clamped, and the spacing is weird. On mine, I just replaced the muffler only (the pipes were fine) and went with a Flowmaster 50 series suv/performance muffler. The shop I took it to made a custom adapter to adapt the outlet down to the OEM tailpipe, cut the brackets off the cats to allow them to flex enough to fit the muffler inlets, and installed a flange and bubbled the pipe to hold the flange in place. It took about 45 minutes, and cost all of $50.

To find a good place, call the local speed shops (places that specialize in high performance parts for race cars and dragsters). The guys that work there sell the parts, and often know of a good local independent shop that can do the install for a much more reasonable price.

-Joe

I'm not sure what all this y-pipe talk is about. I've got a 99 sport, and i've got true duals to the muffler. My factory muffler was dual in, single out, therefore there is no y-pipe. Is it different on other years, or models?

I'm not sure what all this y-pipe talk is about. I've got a 99 sport, and i've got true duals to the muffler. My factory muffler was dual in, single out, therefore there is no y-pipe. Is it different on other years, or models?

To install a cherry bomb, yes, you would need a y-pipe. A cherry bomb is a single-in-single out glass-packed muffler with a very straight-through design to it. It barely qualifies as a muffler to start with. The only way to make it work on an Ex would be to use a y-pipe before the muffler, or run two mufflers and use a y-pipe after them to get to a single tailpipe.

Why on Earth anyone would do that is beyond me...

-Joe

Cherry bomb is a brand, they are mostly known for their glasspacks, but they are producing other types of mufflers.

Dan

Joecam I'm not talking about the glasspacks(they are basically a peice of pipe and they sound bad on 6's) I'm talking about the pro or maybe the vortex mufflers (chambered).
Thanks for all your help guys and the $179 is just for a Y pipe and the muffler welded in, not the cat back system. haha that sucks for the dude with the neon, well, hell he owns a neon I already feel bad for him. haha. Ya I think my local mieneke does good work. when I went to get the estimate he said he installed a Flowmaster 50 on a 99 sport and he said it didn't sound good at all and wasn't loud. He said the Cherrybombs sound alot better on 6's.

Thanks guys! and I will be posting the results of the Cherrybomb install AS SOON as it gets put in.

Back