• Register Today It's free!

5.0 intake and cat back system

fordsRfun

Reaction score
City, State
hailey, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 awd v8 xlt
I have a 97 5.0 V8 AWD and I am currently looking to do a cat back system and intake. One problem is that every intake that I have found says that it is to replace the round air filter..mine is the rectangular one. Anyone able to help with this? Second I would like a cat back system that has a nice throaty sound to it, suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

dont know about the intake i have a 4.0 SOHC, but i though that 5.0 had round filters, oh well. but as to the exhaust i have a magnaflow and love it not that beep but just want i wanted. a lot of people here have flowmaster but just pick something you like and have a shop do it.

is that a single in dual out set up?

fordsRfun said:
is that a single in dual out set up?
it is a dual in-out. Your stock setup is dual in-single out, believe or not

I have a Borla cat back now for 8 years. I also fitted the round K&N intake system. I would have thought they would have a system to fit your vehicle.

I run the MAC intake on my 5.0 complemented with a Flowmaster Force II catback system. The MAC only cost me around $140 and was extremely easy to install. The Flowmaster was a bit more difficult to install as the kit I bought was for an Explorer and apparently Mountaineers have a slightly different exhaust mounting setup. Anyway the Flowmaster only cost $235 + $89 to have it welded up at Midas.

I love the sound of the 5.0 with the intake and exhaust. Also I recently reflashed the ECM with a BamaChips programmer, big difference.

The Mac intake will remove your stock airbox which will eliminate the need for a replacement square filter. As for exhaust, I've heard great things about Gibson, which is the route that I went - www.Autopartswarehouse.com had a great deal on the gibson swept side(dual in single out) for my truck - $254 shipped.

jtsmith said:
it is a dual in-out. Your stock setup is dual in-single out, believe or not

So did they do any other exhaust mods, or just replace the stock muffler with the dual in/out and run new dual exhaust back from that?

And you said it was a Flowie 50 series? is it s 50 series SUV, Delta Flow, or "Big Block"?

My 97 5.0 had the square filter. I installed the k&n with no
problems. Once you remove the stock air box the inner fenders
are the same. I mean between round and square boxes.
The kit comes with the brackets to mount the round k&n.

On my '98 Explorer EB 4x4 we used the MAC Intake. Direct bolt-in and works great.

For the Cat-Back exhaust, we used a Flowmaster with flow through resignator after the muffler. The Flowmaster is 2 inlet 2-1/2" and 3" out to the rear bumper. Custom done at a local Muffler shop ( Ed Hanson's, Spring Valley CA).

Now, on the Cat-Forward, we used Torque Monster Headers! A great addition to any 5.0 V8! Check them out at:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147452

http://www.torquemonsterheaders.com

Bob Pasquale
Tech Performance & Engineering
Torque Monster Headers

im flowmaster 50 series and mac intake...greatest investment ive made on the car yet

Jtsmith

what size exhaust is that 3in?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you need it to be IM-legal, you can use the K&N FIPK. It states it's only for Explorers with the stock conical filter, but you can make it work. Mine had the airbox, I just removed it... and the IM people won't know the difference (as long as you put the CARB sticker on anyway)

PDRM0484.jpg

PDRM0486.jpg

Back